02 Vette - GC - 2K miles - LS1 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be fun.
wink.gif

I sent this sample to Terry for his interpretation and thought it would be worth some discussion here on BITOG. Here is the background, a little complicated, but here it goes. In the fall of 05 I installed a new cam, timing chain, rockers, pushrods with guide plates in my 02 Vette. Subsequent to the cam installation, I had the car dyno tuned where the parameters of the computer are updated for the new setup. Approximatley 1,000 miles later I did an oil change with GC and a Baldwin filter.

This spring, after planning all winter, I started the car after storage and drove it about 20 miles to make sure it was running good. I then put it back in the garage for major surgery again and then tore it down and installed new heads (these were brand new Dart heads so they included new valves, new guides, etc.) new lifters and new pushrods which needed to be shortened for the new lifters. The lifters were also packed with a grease that washed out in this batch of oil. The grease was black and I would suspect it had moly in it. I tried to rinse it out with oil by soaking the lifters and then rotating the roller while submerged in oil by hand. The manufacturer told me to use this procedure and not use a cleaner to do this as it might have the potential to start the motor with poorly lubricated rollers. I would guess that there was grease remaining in the lifters. The lifters were Morel's, if that helps at all. I spoke to Rick Morel before installing them to get his recommendations on preparation and followed them to a "T".

When I installed the heads, I drained the block of coolant as best I could, but there was some remaining coolant in the heads when I pulled them and it spilled. Not sure how much, if any, entered the motor but it may be the source of some of the coolant. I have not lost any coolant since the head change, at least not a measurable amount that is observed in the recovery tank. I have kept a close eye on it because of the new head gaskets. I also used Redline Assembly Lube during setup.

I also had to have the tuning in the computer changed after installing the heads. I had an issue when the car was on the dyno in that the K&N filter was clogged with pollen from all the pollen last spring. The dyno tune is the last step in the process, a street tune is done first to ensure all the fuel trims and timing is correct for normal street driving. The dyno is for WOT tuning and my tuner is very conservative with his tunes (not too lean). We cleaned the K&N with air and finished the tune on the dyno, but what we didn't realize at the time was his tuning for normal street driving was wrong because he calibrated the MAF with the clogged air filter. I then changed air filter setups and now run a system with the Green filter, but it is still an oiled filter. However, because the filter was clogged and the tune was done for street running with the clogged filter, when I put in the new Green filter the MAF was not correctly calibrated and I spent two months chasing a rich code that was turning on the check engine light. As part of my diagnosis, I also did an injector balance test. We found the problem and corrected the MAF calibration, no more rich codes since but there was almost two months of driving with this problem. Not sure if this accounts for the fuel but I did notice my tailpipes have cleaned up a bit after the fix was made. Fuel trims are now in the -2 to -6% range.

Hopefully, this explains some of the things you see in this analysis. Let me know if you have other questions. The car runs great, hasn't used any oil or coolant at all and seems to be functioning perfectly normal. So, what does the collective community think of this one?
grin.gif

2002 Corvette w/modified LS1
21,200 miles on car
2,190 miles on oil (oil was changed with this sample)

Iron 38
Copper 95
Tin 0
Lead 7
Chromium 8
Nickel 2
Aluminum 13
Titanium 0
Silver 0
Calcium 2,177
Magnesium 186
Zinc 997
Phosphorus 774
Barium 1
Molybdenum 12
Antimony 0
Silicon 46
Sodium 11
Boron 1
Potassium 0
Vanadium 0
Viscosity (40/100) 68.3/11.6
TAN 1.35
Flashpoint 360
Oxidation 16
Nitration 10
Water (KF-ppm)384
TBN 7.20
Fuel 219
Soot 0
Glycol/Coolant 2.027
Viscosity Index 165
Sulfate Byrproduct 21

[ September 06, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: vettenuts ]

I wouldn't have bothered even taking an analysis let alone getting a professional read on it. Too much going on.

I agree with Al. I would have run it for about 20 minutes and then changed the oil immediately to see if there was anything visible in the oil and/or filter. Then follow that with a 2000 mile stretch and UOA to given you a good baseline to work from as you clock up more miles in future.

Having said that, let me guess what's going on here based on this analysis. High silicon is in some part from dirt ingression, causing some elevated wear. Also, piston and especially ring wear caused by sloppy piston to bore clearances, which is resulting in a lot of blow-by and consequent oil oxidation, which is contributing to the excessive fuel dilution, lowering the flashpoint and adding to the wear. And all that coolant that fell into the oil during the rebuild is eating your bearings. This oil needs to be replaced pronto!

But I expect Terry told you what's really going on.

I probably would've done an analysis, but that's just me, I'm addicted to them.
smile.gif
That being said, there really is a lot of stuff going on here, so this result is not a true representation of what this engine and oil combo can do, as you've seen from my UOAs on my LS1 Corvette.

Have you had the car down the dragstrip yet? Also, how much rwhp is it making?

400 rwhp. I didn't want to change it right away because of the tuning issue and the rich condition that existed. Once the tuning problem was squared away I changed the oil. I had a lot of issues after the swap that needed to be ironed out, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back