02 durango 4.7 granny issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I have a 02 Dodge Durango 4.7 2wd 163,000 miles. Recently my transmission has been acting up. When your in the gas from a stand still it still shifts pretty smooth, but if you slow down from say 55 to 35, when you get back in the gas it's really sluggish to get put back in a lower gear. It's got a noticeable hesitation. Do you think it's time for a total rebuild or are there localized problems that can cause what I'm experiencing? Thanks, this is my work vehicle that runs the interstate all year, I don't want a break down while traveling.

Not sure, I haven't learned much about transmissions at all.

Lol just realized that auto correct turned my tranny issues into granny issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey folks I have a 02 Dodge Durango 4.7 2wd 163,000 miles. Recently my transmission has been acting up. When your in the gas from a stand still it still shifts pretty smooth, but if you slow down from say 55 to 35, when you get back in the gas it's really sluggish to get put back in a lower gear. It's got a noticeable hesitation. Do you think it's time for a total rebuild or are there localized problems that can cause what I'm experiencing? Thanks, this is my work vehicle that runs the interstate all year, I don't want a break down while traveling.

4.7 = 45RFE. Fully electronic, no cables, kickdown levers, bands, etc. It could be a speed sensor, could be a solenoid... but whatever it is it will likely be electronic in nature. Changing the fluid/filter(s) (the 545RFE has two, I imagine the 45RFE does as well) and checking the codes are your best options.

I am no expert on these vehicles so take what im going to say with a grain of salt.

My wifes friend had the exact same truck and was experiencing similar issues. She explained it by saying, " at times it felt sluggish. I told her to bring it over one weekend and before she takes it to the shop, lets change the fluid and filters. This one also had a little spin on filter as well as the large regular one. I changed them both out and filled up with fluid and it fixed the problem. . It has been years and she has not complained about it anymore.

I have a buddy with a larger 1500 ram of the same year and his transmission was doing some weird things as well. Mostly after it sat for a while you could put it in gear and it wouldnt move. After things warmed up, it would run normal. Long story short, he changed the fluid and filter, no spin on filter, and it fixed his issue as well.

Maybe these trucks are very sensitive to fluid flow and it might be a reasonable place to start by changing the fluid and filter out.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: FLORIDA

4.7 = 45RFE. Fully electronic, no cables, kickdown levers, bands, etc. It could be a speed sensor, could be a solenoid... but whatever it is it will likely be electronic in nature. Changing the fluid/filter(s) (the 545RFE has two, I imagine the 45RFE does as well) and checking the codes are your best options.

440 Magnum nailed it on the head . The 545rfe trans is fully electronic so there are no manual adjustments. I second changing the filters/fluid , use a high quality filter in this application such as Mopar or Wix. ATF+4 only , nothing else. If a trans fluid change does not remedy the symptoms most likely culprit is either the shift solenoid pack or the speed sensors.

I wouldn't be able to determine your situation from here. Sometimes when a sensor on the engine is less than accurate, it also has an effect on the electronic transmission. Some sensors become inaccurate when old....but not so inaccurate that it triggers a warning light. In your case, the throttle position sensor or MAP sensor may be in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back