02 Civic SiR "ringing" sound ... normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I picked up an 02 Civic SiR as a winter car. Fun little hatch
smile.gif

I've noticed this "light ringing" sound under load. I would liken it to a constant cricket chirp or a dull bell, but quieter.

Some notes to narrow it down:

- The sound occurs in neutral, but much quieter

- The sound does not change pitch or volume with revs or throttle position. It's just on or off.

- I can only hear it from the interior. If I pop the hood and rev it by the throttle cable, everything sounds normal.

No CEL or other lights. I've changed oil and filter, changed air filter, checked fluids. Everything looks pretty good, though the service belts could probably be changed.

How can I locate the source if it can only be heard from inside the car? Any suggestions on what should I look for, specifically?

Was this one of the years where Honda literally had a bell/chime somewhere in the dash for 'door is open' or 'fasten seatbelt' reminder?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Pinging maybe?

I'm really hoping not. Wouldn't the knock sensor be throwing a code then? And doesn't that make more of a clicking sound? I'm also running premium fuel (91).

What should I try? Change spark plugs and coil packs?

Was this one of the years where Honda literally had a bell/chime somewhere in the dash for 'door is open' or 'fasten seatbelt' reminder?

It might, but that's not what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
That's an odd sound.
Does it happen if you press and hold the clutch down?
Could try pulling accessory belts to see (and hope) it's one of the accessories.

Does it happen if you press and hold the clutch down?

Clutch position doesn't affect it one way or the other.

What's interesting about the noise profile:
- it occurs 100% of time under load
- it occurs 100% of time while coasting (clutch in + in gear or clutch out + in neutral -- doesn't matter), but at about 25% of the volume
- it's nearly inaudible while stopped

Could try pulling accessory belts to see (and hope) it's one of the accessories.

Pulling how? You mean removing? Or just wrenching at it to see if it makes noise?

Last edited:
Yeah, removing accessory belts just to rule out it being one of the belt-driven accessories.
Of course, practice caution driving without the accessories.

But it does sound more like an engine/drivetrain sound.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I listened to that recording,it sounds like a transmission noise.

Does that line up with the pattern of the noise though? It's just on or off, the pitch and volume are constant and don't vary with revs or road speed.

So, I had a mechanic buddy come along for a ride. He says it's just the intake sound, nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back