Not open for further replies.
Schaeffer Analysis

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2.5L OHV I-4
Mobil 1 Supersyn 10w30
Motorcraft FL1A Oil Filter
Current Miles 25,533
Miles on oil 2,933
Driving conditions are short 3-4 mile trips during the weekday and longer trips on weekends combined with aggressive offroading. Onroad driving uses a K@N FIPK cone filter setup and for offroading the stock factory airbox and paper filter are used.

Copper 3
Iron 29
Chromimum 1
Aluminum 3
Lead 1

Moly 79
Phos 1041
Zinc 947
Mag 62
Cal 2939

Anti Freeze % 0
Fuel Dilution % 0
H20 % .2
Silicon 5
Cst 9.65
SAE 30W
Sulfur 35
Oxd % 21
Nit % 23

Schaeffer's comments: Positive Water Oil should be changed to establish trend results.

Any thoughts as to the positive water contamination? Oil looks to have held up pretty well. I'm happy to see the low silicon of 5ppm for my K@N setup, also shows the factory setup works well of keeping the mud, dirt and grime out of the motor while offroad. I'm still running this oil until my Schaeffer's order gets here.
The Jeep 2.5L is basically the Jeep 4.0 I6 with 2 cylinders chopped off. Also it seems these engines generate high iron numbers but still last forever.

fcd12a80.jpg
[/URL]

Well the oil is holding up and the silicon is terrific. Even better than it looks bc Mobil 1 has a few ppm of silicon in for antifoaming. The one 0W-30 analysis for Mobil unused oil showed "4" for silicon. As you also said the iron on the jeeps does run high. I'll be looking forward to Shaeffer's results.

Oh.. your link doesn't work
frown.gif

[ March 01, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

I find this most interesting because my daughter-in-law's '98 GC jeep 4.0L I-6 has almost the same report with the same oil. With 6k miles on oil, 106,050 on engine:
Iron was 21 ppm
Lead was 9 ppm
Chromium was 1 ppm
Copper was 5 ppm

Boron was 72 ppm
Moly was 71 ppm
Magnesium was 177
Calcium was 2890
Phosphorus was 965
Zinc was 965
tbn was 6.34
Oxd - 20%
Nitration was 16%.

Glycol and water was 0%

Viscosity was 10.83 cSt at 100 C

Driving conditions were mostly 15 mile commutes
in 55 mph traffic.

[ March 01, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Trying the link again

-

Jeep rocks dude!My hunting partner just ordered a Rubicon..now I'll have to get a locker for my Dana 30 or he'll kick my butt
pat.gif
.Water could be from condensation...these engines could run 200k on olive oil they're so stout
bowdown.gif

I love the new Rubicon's! Thought about getting one but I have too much invested into my current Heep to take that much of a loss. Locking the D30 makes a big difference offroad. I'm running a lockrite in mine and a Super 35 with Detroit in the back axle. Lockers front and rear are simply amazing!!!!
cheers.gif

Ryan,

I still think your iron is on the high side, even for the Jeep motor. On my ZJ with the 4.0, my iron was only 48 ppm after 24,000 miles on the same oil (Amsoil 10W-30). Of course there are numerous confounding variables, but….

Regarding your 2.5 L. It was the mother of the 4.0. AMC actually grafted two cylinders onto your four banger to make the I-6 in a couple different displacements. The 2.5 is one workhouse of a motor. I’m disappointed that DC dropped it in favor of the corporate DOCH 2.4, really a car motor unlike the old, but purpose-built 2.5.

quote:

Originally posted by darrenc:
Ryan,

I still think your iron is on the high side, even for the Jeep motor. On my ZJ with the 4.0, my iron was only 48 ppm after 24,000 miles on the same oil (Amsoil 10W-30). Of course there are numerous confounding variables, but….

Regarding your 2.5 L. It was the mother of the 4.0. AMC actually grafted two cylinders onto your four banger to make the I-6 in a couple different displacements. The 2.5 is one workhouse of a motor. I’m disappointed that DC dropped it in favor of the corporate DOCH 2.4, really a car motor unlike the old, but purpose-built 2.5.

D/C had to get rid of engines that live too long...no money in it...who wants an ole' cast iron tractor motor running 250k with no problems...and you can fix it yourself...gotstogo
pat.gif

quote:

Regarding your 2.5 L. It was the mother of the 4.0. AMC actually grafted two cylinders onto your four banger to make the I-6 in a couple different displacements.

Err ..I'm not sure about that. The current 4.0 head design is copied from the 2.5 ..but the 2.5 block is a hacked 4.2/4.0 block. Unfortunately they hacked the wrong cylinders and exchanged total interchangability between the motors (one piece main seal, different trans/t-case input splines, etc.). They probably did this because of the crank. EVERY in line six has the exact same firing order ..hence it follows (I haven't really verified this) that the cranks would have the same pattern. This probably was cost calculated to be more cost effective cut the block casting for the "offending" cylinders. The only difference between a 4.0 head and a 4.2 head is the bolt size and a couple of water ports that need to be closed off. Or rather the 4.0 head can mate to the 4.2 block without difficulty allowing it to take advantage of the higher flow characteristics of the 2.5-like design. The AMC 2.5 came out in 84 (maybe 83)

Both engines have their roots in the 4.2. The 2.5l was designed first, with the 4.0 being designed after the 2.5, using many of the same dimensions, which ultimately can be traced back to the 4.2.

As you point out, the 2.5 debuted in 1983-84, while the 4.0 didn't arrive until the '87 model year Cherokee.

Thus, in a sense, they are all related enough that useful information can be gleaned looking at numbers form any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back