illegal oil "requirements" from dealerships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffers Certificate number EOLCS 0032 dated 6/21/10 good till 6/21/11 states that the Schaeffers 700 is CH-4 CI-4 CJ-4. This oil has always been API compliant and I have absolutely no doubt that is is currently.

Link?

Because the API website says different.

http://eolcs.api.org/companySearchResults.aspx?mode=letter&q=S&p=1

PS: its July 2011. That number means nothing now.

Salesrep, can you get info from St. Louis about API?

No web site is the final word...all are subject to delays in updating or errors.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Schaeffers Certificate number EOLCS 0032 dated 6/21/10 good till 6/21/11 states that the Schaeffers 700 is CH-4 CI-4 CJ-4. This oil has always been API compliant and I have absolutely no doubt that is is currently.

Link?

There is also:
http://eolcs.api.org/companySearchResults.aspx?mode=state&q=Missouri (since Schaeffer is HQ'd in St. Louis, MO).

Schaeffer does use the phrase "exceed API specs"... similar to what Amsoil does for the oils they do not get the API licensing from....

Nothing illegal by the Ford dealership in question (doesn't violate the Magnuson Moss Act). If you don't feel like using an oil that meets Ford's recommendation... worst case is you are your own warranty...

I have word from St. Louis. Schaeffers IS API compliant, documentation and accounting miscues are the culprit for the temporary removal from the API website. This by no means indicates that Schaeffers oil itself was EVER out of Spec.
The exact date of being "reannointed" will be soon.

I have word from St. Louis. Schaeffers IS API compliant, documentation and accounting miscues are the culprit for the temporary removal from the API website. This by no means indicates that Schaeffers oil itself was EVER out of Spec.
The exact date of being "reannointed" will be soon.

"Word" from Schaeffers does NOT make their oil API certified.

Until it gets certified by API I would refrain from using it in my warrantied vehicle.

But I understand you are a "salesrep" after all.
crazy2.gif

Getting back to the original post, the reason why manufacturers recommend certain oil requirements is usually because there is a reason for it. GM is now requiring Dexos spec oil because some of the engines need it and it is easier to spec it across the whole line than to try to explain to people that it is required just for this or that engine. Let's face it most people are clueless when it comes to this stuff and it is a miracle when they actually change their oil. Certain motors out there do really require having the right stuff so it is best to stick to the oils recommended for the most part not to have to deal with any issues later if something does go wrong. I had a car turn out to be a lemon and they tried the whole " I bet you didn't maintain it" trick. I handed them all the service records showing Mobil 1 5W30 oil and Factory filters were used every time at the manufacturer's recommended intervals or less. Changed by a dealer to make sure I had the paperwork to cover my behind for this exact reason. They ended up buying back the car and refunding every penny I had spent on it including tires and Insurance costs, interest and any fees! I really lucked out. It is just cheap insurance to stick to the recommended stuff and document everything because most of these companies are not pleasant to deal with if anything is "out of spec" so to speak. Once your warranty is over you will not get help from them so you can do as you please.

Last edited:
Back up the truck to the original post. Did the dealership forbid the use of Schaeffer's because of an API cert. issue or did they just forbid the use of anything other than the dealership products? Example: What if you wanted to run Rotella or Delvac?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Back up the truck to the original post. Did the dealership forbid the use of Schaeffer's because of an API cert. issue or did they just forbid the use of anything other than the dealership products? Example: What if you wanted to run Rotella or Delvac?

This particular instance was specific to Schaeffer, because that's what he was running in the duramax he traded in. But I have also heard other customers of mine saying they were told they couldn't use Rotella. Seems to me like Ford wants only Motorcrap diesel oil in the newer engines. My original question was whether they have any legal right to make that requirement, or only an API requirement?

Straight from the 2011 F350 diesel engine supplement manual:

clipboard02wm.jpg

clipboard03pp.jpg

My interpretation is that any CJ-4 rated oil of the proper viscosity meets the warranty requirements. Once Schaeffer's has their paperwork in order and their 10w30/15w40 is "back on the books" as CJ-4, it should meet Ford's requirements as listed above. From a performance standpoint I'm sure it has been fine all along, but to-the-letter of the manual the CJ-4 rating is required. If you still have doubts, I would follow up with Ford customer service.

Infiniti requires a specific brand of fluid for their 7AT in the G37 (a Nissan fluid of course).

I told the dealership i expect the fluid to be free when it comes time to change it. the service manager laughed at me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: CrAlt

Link?

There is also:
http://eolcs.api.org/companySearchResults.aspx?mode=state&q=Missouri (since Schaeffer is HQ'd in St. Louis, MO).

Schaeffer does use the phrase "exceed API specs"... similar to what Amsoil does for the oils they do not get the API licensing from....

Nothing illegal by the Ford dealership in question (doesn't violate the Magnuson Moss Act). If you don't feel like using an oil that meets Ford's recommendation... worst case is you are your own warranty...

Since Salesrep isn't going to update this post I will just in case any of you cared enough to keep a watch on the topic:

http://eolcs.api.org/licenseAgreementService.aspx?id=32

I can't explain the lapse in the websites listing of Schaeffer oils, but I can look at the dates that are listed on the site NOW, and they show no lapse since june of 1995 when they began licensing them!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
thumbsup2.gif
I have always considered Schaeffers to be a great product and would recommend their 7000 series to those with warranty concerns. When the API license issue came up I couldn't do so. Now I can once again.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: ramechanic4
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Although we agree that Schaeffer's is good stuff, is it API certified? If it's not, then I can see why the manufacturer may object.

Yes, the Schaeffers 15-40 is API SM rated, as well as CJ-4/CI-4/CI-4+

Actually, at this time, Schaeffer's has NO API certifications( listed on API directory site ). I know in the past the 7000 series was API certified but it does not appear to be now. On Schaeffers site they do not claim API SM certification at this time. Just comments that it meets or exceeds now. I know in the past they claimed full certification for it and I had seen it on the API directory site. The product photo shows the Starburst still but it does not appear that it is certified any longer?

If I'm looking at this right it looks like Schaeffer's API License/Cert is good until June 21, 2012 unless extended by mutual agreement:
http://eolcs.api.org/companyInformation.aspx?id=227109
my Schaeffer 7000 and 9000 have the API seal on the quarts.

Originally Posted By: rwf01
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: ramechanic4
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Although we agree that Schaeffer's is good stuff, is it API certified? If it's not, then I can see why the manufacturer may object.

Yes, the Schaeffers 15-40 is API SM rated, as well as CJ-4/CI-4/CI-4+

Actually, at this time, Schaeffer's has NO API certifications( listed on API directory site ). I know in the past the 7000 series was API certified but it does not appear to be now. On Schaeffers site they do not claim API SM certification at this time. Just comments that it meets or exceeds now. I know in the past they claimed full certification for it and I had seen it on the API directory site. The product photo shows the Starburst still but it does not appear that it is certified any longer?

If I'm looking at this right it looks like Schaeffer's API License/Cert is good until June 21, 2012 unless extended by mutual agreement:
http://eolcs.api.org/companyInformation.aspx?id=227109
my Schaeffer 7000 and 9000 have the API seal on the quarts.

You are late to the party. Read above...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back