Wondering about manufacturer Oil requirements VS dealer practices

Bob tapped out a long time ago.

Welcome. You opened up the forbidden door on here by asking a question ;)

I almost thought I figured out what you were asking, then I tapped out.

FWIW - my 2018 F150 calls for coolant that is no longer made, another F150 that I owned called for 5W-20 oil, then Ford said (a few years later) to put 5w-30 in it. The cap still said 5w-20, as did the owners manual.

Would you be shocked to hear someone say that in the vast majority of cases, oil is oil? If you can buy it at Wal Mart or TSC or Rural King or Bi-Mart or AAP or just about anywhere that isn't Jort Jeankle's Gas and Go, then it's good enough for your Kia. Because I'm saying it. I know this because there are thousands* of Kia Souls in my area and I'm betting 90% of them get oiled up at Quickie-Lube or the dealership, yet I don't really see hundreds of them lined up on the interstate with grenaded engines. I see a lot of them with people with strange hair colors and pierced foreheads and bumper stickers that say "I love my amoeba" and whatnot, but they are all running.

*maybe 10's of thousands, and some of them are pretty old
Bob is alive and well, what do you mean by he tapped out a long time ago?

Our Mazda dealership only uses the Mazda branded Moly 0W-20 in the quart bottles for A) manufacturer warranty repairs or B) specific customer requests where they pay the full retail for it (around $12qt, I think)

For any advertised oil change special or any non-OEM maintenance program we use a bulk Mobil Super 0W20 or 5W30. Even the pre-paid oil change and tire rotation package we sell gets the bulk oil as it is from Mazda Financial Services, not Mazda North America Operations.

I know Acura and Toyota, via their OEM free 2 year maintenance program do ONLY use their specific branded oil. Same with the Europeans I believe.

It's cheap because it's bought in bulk, with a contract, but that doesn't it isn't quality oil.
I would look at bulk oil no different than super tech, Kirkland, fram or any other store house brand. What’s the definition of quality oil? I consider those reputable and can easily live up to a 5-6 mile oci lesser if an oil abuser short trip, turbo or direct injection.

I would look at bulk oil no different than super tech, Kirkland, fram or any other store house brand. What’s the definition of quality oil? I consider those reputable and can easily live up to a 5-6 mile oci lesser if an oil abuser short trip, turbo or direct injection.

You can still buy "normal" oils like PP in bulk. Just because it is bulk doesn't mean it is a lesser product. It's just a lot easier for the customers to store and not worry about packaging.

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, Total has at least 7 varieties of 0w20

• Quartz INEO Xtra Dynamics 0W-20 (ACEA: C5; API: SN-RC)
  • Quartz INEO Xtra First 0W-20
  • Quartz INEO Xtra EC6 0W-20 (ACEA: C5, API: SP (RC), ILSAC: GF-6A)
  • Quartz INEO Xtra FDE 0W-20 (ACEA: C6, C5 API SP, GM: Dexos D)
  • Quartz 9000 FUTURE GF-6 0W-20 (API: SP, ILSAC: GF-6A)
  • Quartz INEO Xtra Long Life 0W-20
  • Quartz INEO Xtra V-Drive 0W-20
IMO, any would serve just fine 🤷‍♂️

1. Both oils will do well!
2. Nice having a Motor Oil delivered to your door
3. Look at Wayne Wilson's Thread, then again his car was Fuel Injected not Direct Injection
3. You did 2 3's LOL, HPL does offer a 0W-30
4. You have to realize why HPL costs more, and this has been discussed here on this Forum.

I can see what you are saying about finding a better overall oil than Mobil 1 ESP, like you I thought Pennzoil Platinum was the GOAT until I used Mobil 1 ESP. The Mobil 1 ESP is going up in price which makes the HPL Motor Oil more interesting.

You also have to realize and you know this from being on this Forum that we have had Motor Oil's that have started out like the Cats Meow. What I am saying is that they started out good via VOA's and then they were cheapened to a certain extent and fell out of favor. I am hoping that the ESP line from Mobil will continue to be great, at least with HPL they are not going cheap on there oil.
M1 ESP is $28.xx a 5QT jug on sale (pre-tax) and that is delivered to the door so at $197 for a 12 QT case for HPL, it is no contest. With the certs/specs M1 ESP has, finding a more cost effective oil will be difficult at best.

I looked this morning under motor oils on HPLs site and did not see a 0W-30, perhaps it located under a different heading.

No matter, it would be a waste in my 2.7TT DI engine and M1 ESP meets my needs. I am not really concerned about a formulation change...at least not for 75K miles. :ROFLMAO:

Dollar General got sued and lost a few years back for selling old API spec oil. So I can't imagine a dealer trying it. Anything is possible I suppose.

If they told you they used HPL with extra molly they added themselves, would you believe them anyway?

The API SN+ spec started 2018, so its wildly unlikely your getting anything that doesn't meet that spec - but its most likely SP at this point.

It actually has a SKU

I don't know if it's the service fluid, but I'm fairly sure I found the factory fill 🫡

Bulk Total/Kia approved 0w20s

Back