Best oil filter for extended drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: defektes
Fram Xtended Guard, M1, K/n, Wix, Purolator.. anything with a silicone adbv, go by price and availability.
So MC are OK for that length?

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Fram Xtended Guard, M1, K/n, Wix, Purolator.. anything with a silicone adbv, go by price and availability.
So MC are OK for that length?

I'd go with a Mobil 1 or a Fram XG

I have looked at M1 filters, remind me of the K&N I use for the Stang
wink.gif

I have looked at M1 filters, remind me of the K&N I use for the Stang
wink.gif

yeah,probably is similar. Made by same co.I think.

Fram XG or if you have the money, Amsoil. K&N makes the best filter for my car (cartridge) by far, Motorcraft has best bang for your buck, but cartridge filter's are a whole other animal really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
Motorcraft has best bang for your buck, but cartridge filter's are a whole other animal really.
I run a standard filter not a cartridge style, that's for the Mz3 with the 2.3

So the MC (fl-400s) would be up to the task?
IMO, the MC is a good ~5k/6Month filter, even though it has a silicone adbv, I wouldn't run it 10-15k.

I agree with the answer below explaining that the Purolator mentioned would be the P1. There are a few others like the Royal Purple that daman mentioned that are great, just a bit more expensive.

Fram Xtended Guard, M1, K/n, Wix, Purolator.... .......go by price and availability.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
So the MC (fl-400s) would be up to the task?
IMO, the MC is a good ~5k/6Month filter, even though it has a silicone adbv, I wouldn't run it 10-15k.

I ran FL-400S in '94 LS400 for 12-14k miles/12 months without any problems.

Last edited:
Like I said, IMO. Not saying the MC is not a good filter, I have a cut open FL-820S cut open here that I will post at some point, next to a Puro Classic. Son ran them almost exclusively for 5k OCI's on a 4.6L Explorer with no issues, until he traded it.

The main reason I prefer other than MC for extended OCI is their efficiency rating, somewhat vague. That said, I don't think one would have any "problem" with the MC for an extended OCI. I'm just more comfortable with the other filters mentioned for the extended OCI the OP mentioned, than the MC. But, if the MC works for you great.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac

The main reason I prefer other than MC for extended OCI is their efficiency rating, somewhat vague.

Any idea what it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back