anyone else experience FAULTY New Thermostats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deed's done. AA was really nice, upgraded me from economy to superstat over warranty. That was it. Hits the temp and stays right there.

Drilled a tiny air hole also. That made a world of a difference in burping the system. Thanks for that advice.

Oddly enuf, a good friend just went through the same ordeal with a brand new failed superstat. We replaced his stat today also (bad superstat, new NAPA standard- less beefy looking than the superstat) and his truck's good now too.

Thanks for the responses!

Mike

I avoid auto parts store thermostats at all costs.

Most OEM thermostats are fail-safe, meaning if they fail, they fail in the open position so you don't overheat. The Stant Economy thermostat and Superstat aren't.

Meep, where did you drill your bleed and hole and how did you plug it???

You don't plug a bleed hole. You just drill a very small hole, and during normal operation, the thermostat opens and closes as usual to maintain temp. The tiny amount of coolant passing through the bleed hole is easily compensated for.

BTW, where did you hear this info about OEM stats being "fail-safe"?

Jeff

I've read about drilling a small bleed hole in 302 Mustang GT t-stats because the uppper rad hose is positioned above the rad and engine.

Is this mod, in general, good to do for most cars when a t-stat is being replaced?

Quote:

You don't plug a bleed hole. You just drill a very small hole, and during normal operation, the thermostat opens and closes as usual to maintain temp. The tiny amount of coolant passing through the bleed hole is easily compensated for.

This is a new one on me! Just exactly where is this bleed hole drilled? Diameter? Curious.

Quote:

I've read about drilling a small bleed hole in 302 Mustang GT t-stats because the uppper rad hose is positioned above the rad and engine.

Is this mod, in general, good to do for most cars when a t-stat is being replaced?

Sorry. I thought you were referring to a bleeder on the thermostat housing that a lot of Hondas have for bleeding air out of the cooling system.

As for the fail safe, it's just what I've been told by some technicians. I know my OEM thermostat in my car is a fail safe, and that's the only thing that goes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back