MS Linux Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux Kernel Delayed By Microsoft's Army of Evil Monkeys
By Brian Briggs

Around the World - Linus Torvalds announced yesterday that the Linux Kernel 2.4 will be delayed. He blamed the delay on interference from Microsoft's Army of Evil Monkeys. The army has been disrupting the lives of key Linux programmers, and in some cases destroying portions of code. Torvalds himself has been a victim of several Evil Monkey attacks.

Evil MonkeysSteve Ballmer denied any involvement by Microsoft in the matter. "We did receive the Army of Evil Monkeys when we purchased evil from Satan, but those monkeys are only temporary employees and not actual employees of Microsoft. Whatever they do on their own time is their business."

If the accusations prove to be true, then this could have a major effect on the Justice Department's anti-trust case against Microsoft. Joel Klein said, "If this story is accurate, then this is just one more example of how Microsoft is using its monopoly power to stifle competition."

"It has been horrible," said Linux programmer Rob Timmons, "the evil monkeys were everywhere. Trashing my computer, [defecating] in my bed. I lost several days worth of work."

Internal Microsoft e-mails obtained by BBspot tell of a secret monkey training ground where monkeys are trained to seek out and harass Linux programmers. The only comments from Bill Gates have been, "Fly my pretty, fly!"

Not sure what is worse, the article's attempt at humour or the fact I knew it was an old article simply because it was talking about a delay in the 2.4 kernel (which has been out for several years).

I run Ubuntu Linux 7.04, Feisty Fawn and it's more fun than a Barrel of Monkeys!

Haven't posted in a about a month have been on vacation - one of those retirement things!

I have started using Linux at work a lot. We are doing using embedded Linux in our product, but all the compilers are Linux based. Linux works and is free, but I don't see where it is superior to Windows. They are a long ways away from Windows when it comes to installing software and drivers. I think the average computer user would have a very hard time doing this.

Quote:

I have started using Linux at work a lot. We are doing using embedded Linux in our product, but all the compilers are Linux based. Linux works and is free, but I don't see where it is superior to Windows. They are a long ways away from Windows when it comes to installing software and drivers. I think the average computer user would have a very hard time doing this.

That's exactly why I gave up toying with it. Tried many distro's and they all worked OK. But installing things like Adobe reader, Flash, whatever, or not having drivers for printers and such, well I have better things to do that screw around with 'workarounds'.

A hobbyist's toy for the casual user at best.

Ed_T, you should look into Ubuntu if you want an out of the box linux desktop. Using linux is a learning experience and not everyone wants that in a computer OS, this I will grant; but it is not a hobbyists toy. I liken it to learning to play a musical instrument. Because it is not mastered in 6 months doesn't make the instrument less valuable.

Yeah, the 2.4 kernel was superseded a long time ago by 2.6.

True, Linux is probably not for everyone but I sure love the fact that I don't have to hit the Reset button daily; with XP I have to do so more often than not. Shoot, I can go for MONTHS(!!!!) without a reboot unless the kernel needs an update.

I've got XP machines that are used daily without reboots for months. I also have a Windows 2003 server running as a domain controller that has been running for over 500 days without a reboot. I think that is pretty stable. I need to shut down the server to add a couple 500GB drives for storage this week, so I will probably install Windows Updates as long as I have to shut it down. I have found Windows 2000 and up to be very stable (95, 98, and ME is another story!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back