New Mazda CX7 2.3 turbo calls for SL oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Mazda CX7 2.3l turbo is approaching 1000 miles, so will be changing out the breakin oil. The owners manual calls specifically for "SL" rated 5w30 oil.

For the first two changes, I will probably let the dealer do the changes because they will be free. Dealer tells me they use Motorcraft synthetic blend. So for these changes I will plan on OCI's of about 3-5k moving to 5-7k changes after I move to full synthetic. (I have a few gallons of Amsoil S2k 0w30 and a few gallons of HDD 5w30 that I will move to after the "free" blends are used up.)

My question is this... In a day when everyone is touting "SM" rated oils as the greatest thing since sliced bread, why does Mazda specifically spec a "SL" rated oil for a brand new 2007 automobile? Has something been left out of the new oils, or added, that would require a high performance, turbocharged engine to use an older formulation with higher CA, ZN and etc.?

Your comments are welcome, please. And thanks

patriot.gif
By the way, Thanks to all of you vets out there who fought to protect our freedom! My family greatly appreciates your sacrifice.

Tim

I would also thank our vets but our freedoms come from the constitution which "limits" our government and is eroding away and not many seem to care. Not a whole lot of people are protecting the Rights granted to U.S. by the constitution.

Probably just a typo in the manual. Some boilerplate text from an older manual likely didn't get updated.

As wgtoys commented, it's gotta be a mistake in the manual.

I can practically guarantee that the dealer will use API SM Motorcraft 5W-30 syn blend for the initial oil changes.

SL oil is just no longer widely available, something that disqualifies it from being a warranty requirement. Check with your dealer before you start searching for 3-4 yr old, dusty bottle, slow moving stock at the mom & pop's convenience stores, or clearance oil at Big Lots!

The Mazda statement is a minimum standard. A 2007 Hyundai for instance says SL rated or if unavailable SJ. API ratings are backwards compatable. Thats why they still have old Flat-Tappet OHV engines used to measure cam wear in the current SM testing. Use SM with confidence as it meets your warranty requirements.

Quote:

Does the CX7 allow for 10w-30 in any circumstance? I know you said specifically 5w-30 but I just wanted to make sure... Thanks Tim.

well if you look at andyH's sticky at the top of this firum it will show that there are some 10-30's that are lesser is viscosity than many of the 5-30's. i have a little stockpile of 3 different synthetic 10-30's and all 3 are lighter in viscosity than the 5-30 that im running right now.

if you care, here is what Amsoil recommends...

100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil

So if a 5w-30 is what's advised, why are you so against a 20wt? Those 30wt's don't always stay in grade, especially when used in a turbo motor. It could easily shear down to a 20wt with use and I don't think that'd make the engine blow up. One might then suggest that a 20wt would shear down too, but they're usually built pretty well so I don't think it'd be an issue.

my reasoning is probably too simple. I think, with the kind of torque that engine puts out from a four cylinder, the crankshaft is enduring 'diesel' torque levels over twice a diesels rev range, 5w20 is probably not the smartest choice over the long term. thats really it.

Quote:

my reasoning is probably too simple. I think, with the kind of torque that engine puts out from a four cylinder, the crankshaft is enduring 'diesel' torque levels over twice a diesels rev range, 5w20 is probably not the smartest choice over the long term. thats really it.

exactly my thought when i thumbed through the owners manual for the first time and saw the 5-30 reccomendation. i came from a turbo vw and 5-40 was reccomende by vw. i immediately got on my horse and asked the bitogers if the reccomended 5-30 was too light for a turbo application and the consensious was to stay with what the manufacture reccomended.

Owners manuals are just simply guides. Think of it as a starting point and not something to cause a revolution over(as what happens in many threads).

Its a turbo. That would instantly make me want to use a synthetic immediately. So, I'll recommend ANY 30wt synthetic. IMO, as long as OCI is reasonable, the 0w, 5w, 10w wouldn't make a difference. Match the 'w' to the weather.
Depending on driving style, I might even consider a 40wt.

Because of the possible higher oil temps, and possibly fuel dilution from turbo safe A/F ratios, I probably wouldn't run a 20wt at all. But, a UOA would determine if a 20wt is an acceptable choice regardless of what the manual recommends. I just wouldn't use a 20wt without a couple UOAs during the oil run to monitor conditions.

if you look at the Australian owners manual for mazda miata's you will note that there is a whole gaggle of oils that they recommend for various temp ranges. i would bet the aussie manual for the CX7 is the same way. the 5w-30 recommendation is for CAFE only.

Considering the manual (at least for the MS3) states "In Canada & USA" and then also states "Other regions" I wonder if there really is a different manual for Australia. Why put "other regions" if your manual is region specific already?

That's really what I'm wondering... If a Mazda owner's manual for any 2.3L DISI turbo engine recommends anything besides 5w-30 in any region, then it would bring in to question the accuracy of the American manuals. If they specified a 40wt in Germany for instance, I'd probably be very inclined to put 40wt in here.

after a little looking on the australian website, i found this.

Does Mazda have a recommended Oil for use in it's vehicles?

Mazda recommends the use of Mazda's Full Synthetic, "Premium Motor Oil" API SL 5W-40 Motor Oil in all it's Petrol and Diesel Engine vehicles and Mazda "Rotary API SL 5W-30" oil for all Rotary engine vehicles. This oil is also available in convenient 1ltr quantities for use when topping-up the oil in Rotary vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back