Amsoil 60wt Use in a Harley Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awfully thick IMHO. The MCV 20W50 seems to do really well in my 96 Road King. Why do you want to use a straight 60W? Is Idaho that hot? My last UOA on the Amsoil 20W50 had about 30% of the time in 100F temps and it stood up just fine.

I guess it depends on the engine then. I don't know anyone with a Shovelhead, panhead, or knucklehead. Saw a panhead on sale at Glendale Harley complete with an oil pan under it to catch the leaks. They should have chromed the catch pan, since it appeared to be a permanent accessory.

All I could recommend would be the MCV as it works well in my EVO. I've got it in my wife's TC88 engine but haven't done an UOA yet to see how well it is working. The MCV did a lot better than the Castrol GTX I had in it.

I agree, the 20-50 would be the best bet for the newer engines. I think...not sure the straight 60wt should come out to a 30-60wt. Yes, Idaho really gets hot...alot like LA. 120 degrees is not uncommon in the Summer. How about UOA's and extended OCI's with the Amsoil product...?

Extended OCI's with Amsoil products for Harley's is on page 2 of the tech bulletin link I posted above. There is a recent UOA on a 20 year old high mileage (over 100,000 miles) sportbike using Amsoil.

Quote:

I agree, the 20-50 would be the best bet for the newer engines. I think...not sure the straight 60wt should come out to a 30-60wt. Yes, Idaho really gets hot...alot like LA. 120 degrees is not uncommon in the Summer. How about UOA's and extended OCI's with the Amsoil product...?

120F?!? Wow that's a hot potato...

Here is my UOA. It wasn't an extended drain though. I probably use this stuff and just change it once a year from now on.
MCV in 1996 Road King

Quote:

I agree, the 20-50 would be the best bet for the newer engines. I think...not sure the straight 60wt should come out to a 30-60wt.

Actually, with a VI of 140 I'll bet the Amsoil 60 wt could meet the specs for a 25w60, and very possibly a 20w60.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, the 20-50 would be the best bet for the newer engines. I think...not sure the straight 60wt should come out to a 30-60wt.

Actually, with a VI of 140 I'll bet the Amsoil 60 wt could meet the specs for a 25w60, and very possibly a 20w60.

This is why I believe that the 60wt might be a better Summer oil, and no VI improvers would help the oil from shearing. Plus, 20-60wt is a decent weight for the Older non-computer controlled Harley Davidson Engine. Heck, it would be a better grade for any of these engines with alot of miles on it.

Why, carb type engine is one....anyone think of another?
patriot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is why I believe that the 60wt might be a better Summer oil, and no VI improvers would help the oil from shearing. Plus, 20-60wt is a decent weight for the Older non-computer controlled Harley Davidson Engine. Heck, it would be a better grade for any of these engines with alot of miles on it.

Why, carb type engine is one....anyone think of another?
patriot.gif

I think it would be fine in any Harley, new or old, during the summer. If you look at the vis at 100C it's just barely a 60 weight.

I put Rotella 15w40 in mine at the first oil change and I've run that through the winter and spring. I'm switching to Brad Penn 20w50 next week, and I'll probably stick with that. Watch for my UOA of the Rotella in the next few weeks.

Quote:

Saw a panhead on sale at Glendale Harley complete with an oil pan under it to catch the leaks. They should have chromed the catch pan, since it appeared to be a permanent accessory.

Not a leak. Lubrication from the primary chain. Put there on purpose, metered from the oil pump. Primary cover is actually open to the atmosphere in a couple of places, one of them being a drip hole for the chain lube.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back