Duramax bypass set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I'm considering adding a bypass to my 2006 Duramax.

It looks as though there is a port on the side of the full flow main filer mount that has a screw in plug. It seems to be on the supply side of the filter base. Any experience with this?

My thought was rather than have to use a filter adaptor base, I could just unplug the existing port and put a threaded barb in there, plumb to a bypass filter base (such as Napa/Wix) and return the oil, most likely to the filler neck or cap. If the bypass base does not have a restritor, I'll just add one. I like simple connections, and if this port on the main filter mount is already there, why not use it?

Depending on the Wix filter, they may have the restrictor built into the filter itself.

The 24750 mount is a 5/8-18 mount. It can fit any of 3 Wix bypass filters. They, as I said, have the restrictors built in to the filter.

The filters are rated at 10um

Part Number: 51050
UPC Number: 765809510500
Principal Application: Allis-Chalmers, Fiat, Continental, GM, Hyster, Isuzu, Iveco, Towmotor, Other
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Burst Pressure-PSI: 380
Max Flow Rate: 1-3 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Short version

Part Number: 51051
UPC Number: 765809510517
Principal Application: IHC 100, 200, 240, 340 Tractors
All Applications
Height: 4.338
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Burst Pressure-PSI: 350
Max Flow Rate: 1 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Long version (note poor um rating)

Part Number: 51704
UPC Number: 765809517042
Principal Application: Transicold Refrigeration Units w/Perkins Engines
All Applications
Height: 6.952
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Burst Pressure-PSI: 200
Max Flow Rate: 1-3 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 28

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15614 2.834 2.462 0.255

Any NAPA can figure out either 24750 or OB1305 for the filter mount.

If you're open to alternatives, the Amsoil PB-80A mount is only $15+ S&H. It's only recommended for the EaBP-90 filter ..but I've used the old Be-110 (2 quart size) on my Permacool mount without any long term issues (again, it's only recommended for the EaBp-90 filter). It has a restrictor built into the mount. It's a much higher level of filtration than the Wix offerings. There are also more substantial mounts, including the BMK-12 Dual Guard. These mounts have a restrictor fitting.

The EaBP filters have an absolute (beta 75 or 98.7%) rating of 2um.

Use the Amsoil bypass setup. The other filters on Garys list are for old industrial engines that are pre full flow . Not much better if any in filtering than the full flow on the engine .

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Amsoil stuff online. I've never tried their products; I hear they are top quality. I realize that you get what you pay for, but I was looking into alternatives as well. I've also checked the Wix site; they are a good quality product too.

As far as the full flow connection, I was looking to avoid any type of adaptor at all. When I say that, I'm talking about between the main engine full flow mount and the full flow filter itself. I know that both spin on(which mounts in place of the full flow) and sandwich styles (in between the full flow and it's mount) are available, but I was wanting to avoid that extra sealing gasket scenario. That's way I was interesed if anyone had experience or information as to the plugged port on the main full flow mount that seems to be on the pressure supply side to the main filter. Any way I go, I have to use a hose connection, but if I can eliminate an adaptor, why not avoid the cost and the potential leak point?

As for the bypass filter itself, I was considering the Baldwin B-50 and equivilants (they have short/medium/long styles); I believe they are 2um rated, so they filter better than the Wix. I can get them from a truck stop on my way home, so that's convienent for me. The B-50's are already supplied with an internal orifice, as you might already know. I can get the mount from Wix/Napa.

Thanks for your help. I was just looking for more specific info into the plugged port. I suspect I can use it in my plan, but was fishing for someone that may have already gone down that road before.

I can't tell specifically about the plugged port you speak of. If it's in the proximity of the filter, then it is most surely an alternative tap for some accessory that is used somewhere else (or some other application) where this engine is used.

You don't have to do either the sandwich or the remote mount for the full flow filter/bypass combo. You can tap right off that port as you intend to. There's a fitting for everything under the sun. With the BP-80A ..you can use the hose barbs and cheaper hose/clamps. It's not the semi-fancy ss braided line with AN/JIC O ring boss fittings/connectors of the BMK line. It's a simple Permacool mount in a 1-16 thread with small ports and a .030 restrictor plug in the center threaded section.

The debate on the alleged 2um rating of the B50 has been discussed a bit. It's unlikely that any filter with any worthy 2um rating (beta 20 or beta 75) is going cost $7. I'd even doubt that a 2um nominal rating would be likely for that price. Also keep in mind the service interval for a given filter.
dunno.gif

What ever your choice, good luck with it.
cheers.gif

I've only joined this site early this week, but I've been an avid reader for nearly a year. I've followed the B-50 debates as well. I looked into the Wix simply because they have such an informative web site; you can get very detailed info about their filters. The Wix B-50 equivilant is 10um rated, and I cannot recall if that's nominal or not.

The standard FF filter for the Duramax is 8um rated, and I would highly suspect that's nominal. I just wanted to filter to a finer level with the bypass. I'm not sure when I'm going to do this as the next oil change is a way off.

One thing is certain to me; I like the billet oil return cap idea that Amsoil offers for the Duramax. However, to purchase that might offset the savings I'm looking for in the elimination of the filter adaptor. I know there is also a drilled-port type that converts the stock oil cap, too. I have no intention of drilling a hole in my oil pan for the return. I like projects that can be added and removed without hint of existience.

Yes, the 8um figure is the nominal single pass number. Pretty good, actually. The flow rate isn't all that high in this engine.

Part Number: 57202
UPC Number: 765809572027
Principal Application: Chev-GMC w/ 6.6L Duramax Diesel (01-07)
All Applications
Type: Full Flow
Height: 5.216
Outer Diameter Top: 3.690
Thread Size: 13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 15
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 335
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 8

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.550 3.160 0.180

I haven't convinced myself that I even need a bypass filter. It's kind of a "want" versus a "need". I've read a lot of UOAs for the Duramax and they come back fairly clean. UOAs are by far the way to go, but since I only plant to put on maybe 8-10k miles a year on the truck, I don't know that I could cost justify a bypass filter or a UOA even. I am debating in my head to possibly just run a good synthetic 5w-40 and change oil/filter once a year.

Quote:

…It looks as though there is a port on the side of the full flow main filer mount that has a screw in plug. It seems to be on the supply side of the filter base. Any experience with this?

(click to enlage)

I used the port on the bottom but there is also one on the side … both will work for a bypass feed. However, the plugs are difficult to break loose.. When I removed the plug on my 03 it appeared to have red loctite on the threads ..

smile.gif

Bill, if you recall, just what size fitting does that take. Looks to be a bit bigger than 1/8". 1/4" ..3/8"
confused.gif

Just collecting tidbits...
smile.gif

Bill - it'd be great if you can remember what the port thread size is. That would help me start on this project.

dnewton3, if he doesn't know, I'd remove the plug and take it to a hardware store. From the looks of it - that plug is standard NPT.

I can't answer for the Duramax, but my Dodge CTD has an extra outlet in the top of its filter base, it too had a threaded plug in that outlet, it is an extra port for an oil supply line, for ex. to feed another turbo, and I use mine as my bypass feeder.

Tom
driving.gif

Gary,

The Fitting I used on the the bottom is 3/8 NPTF -- precision dryseal. On my first try I used a conventional NPT brass fitting but it leaked. Switched to a NPTF hydraulic 3/8 NPTF to #4 JIC adapter and it's been fine since ...

smile.gif

A nice setup! I want to do something similar on my Ford. Where did you get the return plug for the oil pan? That is the way I want to go, but have had no luck finding hollow drain plugs/kits for the return line.

Okay ..I think if you've got a 1/2-20 thread drain plug ..you can get a AN/JIC fitting/reducer to 3/8-24 which is what's shown here.

I'm sure that there are cheaper ways ..but banjo bolts don't seem to be widely available. They seem heavily weighted to brake line type usage. I also can't seem to find the Hex head 90 that you have there ..and least in my cheaper sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back