What are these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was driving home on a dark night, and one of my ungodly expensive Silverstars (H4/9003 bulb) burns out after 9 months. Stopped at Wal-Mart, and picked up some GE multi-vehicle H4 (marked H4, no mention of 9003) bulbs since they were all out of the Nighthawks in that type. Packaging says "H4 Motorsport Headlamp", and I'm wondering what exactly these things are. GE's lighting site does not have these listed. They work just as well as Silverstars. I'd like more info if available, though.

Quote:

H-4 is generally listed as a motorcycle bulb.
The 9003 is considered a heavy duty H-4.

I don't think that is correct. The 9003 is simply the DOT designation for the H4. Same bulb, same specs.

DOT rejected the H4 design because the spec was too loose on the position of the filiment. This would require a poaaible re-aim of the unit when the bulb was changed. The 9003 designated bulb must comform to a tighter filiment position specification. Do all H4's now conform to that tighter specification?

Richard.

I really have no clue. The light does seem to be more diffused than the old 9003's, especially with high beams. And, about the re-aiming, that's a good idea. Some night when it's warm...

Quote:

DOT rejected the H4 design because the spec was too loose on the position of the filiment. This would require a poaaible re-aim of the unit when the bulb was changed. The 9003 designated bulb must comform to a tighter filiment position specification. Do all H4's now conform to that tighter specification?

DOT didn't reject the design, they rejected the tolerances that were part of the original H4 specs. The design itself is the same for both bulbs and most reputable bulb makers' H4 bulbs meet and are marked for both DOT and ECE applications.

Bump.

After a few months with these bulbs in and after a re-aiming, I can say that I got my money's worth. The light is nice and bright, just as good as my old Silverstars. A different color, but still just as much projection and distribution.

H4 and 9003 are exact same wattage, same base, only difference is in the design, I've heard. Trust me about H4 and 9003 being same wattage and base, I went from 9003 Silverstars to H4 cycle bulbs to H4 Philips X-Treme Power, which put Silverstars to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back