Best oil for me. 2.7 chrysler concorde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle is a 1998 chrsyler concorde 2.7 with 70k on the odometer. It has never gone more then 3000 miles between oil changes and I have ran auto rx twice. I have yet to pick a steady oil. I am low a quart after 1500 miles but do not leak or burn visibly. I was thinking swithing to max life, or motorcraft 5/30 blend. I may try the penzoil platinum. I do not want to leave oil in this engine for much more then 3k or 4k. This is said to be a prime engine for sludge due to poor design PCV system (I replace valve and hose.) Also the water pump is inside the engine which when it starts to weap it causes fast sludge bulid up. (I replace water pump and and timing chain tensioner at 50K). What would you experts due. Cost sometimes is a factor also when I buy oil. Thanks in advance.

If you are definately changing the oil every 3-4K miles, then you'll be fine with any modern, SM-rated oil. That being said, you might want to go with the syn blends you mention (Motorcraft and Maxlife) for a bit of added protection. Motorcraft is about 50% group III, while Maxlife is 12-22% PAO.

I'd use Motorcraft 5w30. Great oil, good price. Sleep well.
smile.gif

My cousin had one of those motors, and it died at around 70k miles if I remember correctly, even with good oil change history. I think with the Auto-RX you can make that motor last for a while
smile.gif
Good luck!

I have that engine. I have run Motorcraft 5/30 semi, Havoline 5/30, PP and GC. I go longer with the synthetics to about 5K. 3K with Havoline and MC.
All work well as you would expect. I have 130K on that engine. I did one AutoRX at about 100K.

You need GTX -- as it prevents Sludge. Seriously, I'm with others -- almost any new SM-rated oil should do fine with those intervals.

If you are changeing at 3K-4K I would use Tropartic 5W30. It is $1.68 a quart at Walmart so it is a good buy! Keep an eye out for signs of coolant leak and you should be fine.

Quote:

My vehicle is a 1998 chrsyler concorde 2.7 with 70k on the odometer...... This is said to be a prime engine for sludge due to poor design PCV system (I replace valve and hose.)

Did you upgrade the PCV system with the newer in-line heat exchanger ? If not, you should.

There isn't necessarily a 'best oil' for the 2.7. Follow the advice given (3K OCI for dino; 5K OCI for things like PP). Use a good filter (NAPA Gold, WIX, Pure One, etc) and stay away from cheap #@$%! oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back