Castrol Locomotive Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
CASTROL RAILROAD ENGINE OIL meets the Electro-Motive Division (EMD) requirements of General
Motors, also MI-12009L (American Locomotive Company), General Electric (G.E.) and satisfies diesel engine
requirements as defined by API CF/CF-2. CASTROL RAILROAD ENGINE OIL meets LMOA Generation
III, IV, and V requirements.
FEATURES ADVANTAGES BENEFITS
Noted combination of dispersant additives and inhibitors.
Minimal levels of oil oxidation and thickening in severe service.
Excellent cleanliness throughout the engine.
Zinc content: Less than 10 ppm. Silver wrist pin bushing protection. Corrosive wear control for longer equipment life.
Sustained high alkalinity. Extra protection in the presence of such metals as copper, bronze, steel, and silver.
Lower locomotive engine maintenance costs.
TYPICAL ANALYSIS
Part Number 1069

SAE Grade 40
Viscosity @ 40° C, cSt 143
Viscosity @ 100° C, cSt 14.7
Viscosity Index 101
Pour Point, °C (°F) -17(0)
Flash Point, °C (°F) 232(450)
TBN (ASTM D-2896) 13
Sulfated Ash, % Wt. 1.5
Gravity, °API 27.1
Specific Gravity @ 60° F. 0.892
Pounds per Gallon 7.428
Form No. 1069 Rev 8/19/2005

These engines are huge and yet run on a 40 wt. oil. I find this interesting

aehaas

What I find interesting is the low zinc to protect silver bearings.

Maybe this explains the high silver in the Rotella UOA of the Buell engine in the MC UOA forum.

I have become interested in these engines.. Pictured is a Diesel electric that Uses DELO 40wt

We have some larger more powerful ones with the silver bearings that require the low zinc oils. These are a blast to be around when they are running.
ED.jpg
I have two UOA's in the diesel UOA section with two Big Detroits with a problem that strikes infrequently ran engines of this size with 350 gallon sumps.

Last edited:
Quote:

These engines are huge and yet run on a 40 wt. oil. I find this interesting

aehaas

These engines are high horsepower and torque at pretty low RPM's and similar to stationary diesel-electric generator plants.
Max speed is about 1000RPM's and oil temps are kept in check with large oil/coolant heat exchangers. The oil pump moves gallons of oil per minute, and with sump capacities reaching 500 gallons, I bet they're using oil analysis!

Side note...many RR's do not use "anti-freeze" glycol coolant, but plain water with corrosion inhibitors. If a internal coolant leak develops, the water will just boil out of the oil, where glycol will ruin the oil and cause big $$$ engine damage.

Drew

Propylene Glycol is the coolant used in the stationary units I see. Of course it's -40° outside today so not using antifreeze is not an option.

One thing to also remember about these engines is that they are alot like light aircraft inthat their RPM setting remains almost constant. Once they are running and stablized their is no real shock placed ont these. I am sure they feed their output into a gear box that spins the generator head. It is not like driveing were RPM's are constantly varing with acceleration and engine brakeing etc.....What suprised me was the high ash level of this oil!Usualy you would want a low ash oil in an engine that see's almost constant RPM setting. The ash can build up on engines that do not vary their RPM's more freq. then I would associate with a Diesel Electrics operateing cycle. I am no expert though and will gladly take correction if I am off base!!!!

These engines run practically 24 hours a day, never cooling off. Many have heaters. They are diesel generators, as they generate electric power that is then used to move the wheels.
They are high detergent because they often run 500,000 to 600,000 km without an oil change.

Those V16s are NUTS. Used to work for CN Rail years ago as a locomotive "hopper". Got to start, rev up and move these beasts around! They use two starters, have an electric oil pump that you must prime before starting, and redline at something like 800-1000rpm The Cylinders were modular and they came up to my chest when removed and sitting on the shop floor. The water used for the cooling system was all softenned and mixed with borate nitrate (similar to Redline water wetter?) for increased thermal transfer. They also use silver bearings. The turbo was the size of a large, round patio table. Absolutely amazing machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back