Mystik JT-8 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed Mystik has a 15w-50 HDEO that meets CI-4+ and they actually prefer it to be run in hot weather in HD diesel engines over the 15w-40.

What benefits would this oil hold over the typical 15w-40 in most aspects of normal operation? I suppose in really hot weather doing hard work the add'l viscosity would help some.

I am looking at a used Deere tractor in Oklahoma that has been run on this oil its entire life, and since it is not usually very cold in OK in the winters it should be okay. Tractor was not used much in the winter anyways.

I see here where Citgo has a FAQ to help consumers select products:

Question:
Why is 15W-50 heavy duty engine oil a good alternative for my farming diesel equipment?

Answer:
15W-50 offers better wear protection and oil consumption control, especially in severe duty applications. The added measure of film strength contributed by higher temperature viscosity provides additional protection compared to other 15W oils.

It also appears this oil is between 10-30% Group III according to the MSDS, and 60-80% Solvent Refined Heavy Paraffinic.

Doesn't look like too bad of a choice for a southern tractor. Probably would be good here for the summer, but I could probably just go 5w-40 syn and do 1 oil change a year and not worry about cold weather performance.

I ran this oil in a 7.3 Ford diesel. I just bought a new 2006
F250 and may use this oil again.

Quote:

I ran this oil in a 7.3 Ford diesel. I just bought a new 2006
F250 and may use this oil again.

Make sure if you get an oil analysis done on the above mentioned oil that you post it in the UOA-Diesel Engines Section. I doubt that there's been a UOA on BITOG of the Mystik JT-8 15W-50.

smile.gif

CI4 Plus rated, shouldn't be a problem. You might notice a fuel economy drop though with the 50 weight. I said might.

I know alot of farmers who use it and the 15w-40 also. Do know of one trucker who used it in his rig and is still running with over a million miles on it with no rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back