Bridgestone Dueler Alenza or Michelin LTX M/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

[q]We had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on our '01 Silverado long enough to drive 65 miles home and then the next day returned the Alenza and bought the Michelin LTX M/S.[/q]

What was wrong with the Alenzas?

Thank you.

DG

We had Michelin LTX M/S on the truck that we had just traded so I knew they were quiet but we went with the Alenza because of the surveys on Tire Rack.

The Bridgestone tires just made too much noise for me so we went back to Michelin and the new truck is very quiet.

Quote:

We had Michelin LTX M/S on the truck that we had just traded so I knew they were quiet but we went with the Alenza because of the surveys on Tire Rack.

The Bridgestone tires just made too much noise for me so we went back to Michelin and the new truck is very quiet

Wow.

I, too am making serious use of the Tire Rack reviews and surveys. The surveys make it the Alenza appear very, very attractive in all respects, including comfort (noise).

Comfort and noise are important to me, after safety. Rolling resistance is important, too. High performance considerations are non-existent for my style of driving. Cost is also a secondary consideration. The Tire Rack surveys make the Alenza appear to be almost a perfect fit.

But, maybe I should do another waffling cycle, and go back to my choise of LTX M/S (what I was intending to buy before I learned about the Alenza).

I suppose 65 miles is too few to get any kind of read on any gas mileage comparison between the LTX's and the Alenzas, huh.

So the Alenzas failed the noise test. How did they compare to what you had on that vehicle before buying the Alenzas?

I'm not really familiar with Bridgestone's Uni-T AQII technology, but it sounds as if it helps retain wet road performance throughout the life of the tire. That's important to me because we live in a climate that's wet-- wetter than Seattle.

Tire Rack sales rep just really encouraged me to choose the Alenza over the LTX.

What's a mother to do? (old TV commercial, for those who may be too young to recognize the reference.)
smile.gif

Regards,

DG

Quote:

Quote:

The Bridgestone tires just made too much noise for me so we went back to Michelin and the new truck is very quiet[/quote

Wow.

I suppose 65 miles is too few to get any kind of read on any gas mileage comparison between the LTX's and the Alenzas, huh.

There really was not enough time to tell about gas mileage.

So the Alenzas failed the noise test. How did they compare to what you had on that vehicle before buying the Alenzas?

Our new truck came with Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. The Alenzas are a much better tire than the A/T as far as noise. When we were driving home from Denver there was a long section of the Interstate that was concrete and the Dueler A/T tires would really "sing". Since then we have been back to Denver on the same stretch of the Interstate with the Michelin and the difference is like night and day.

If we had never had Michelin on both of our other trucks I would have been happy with the Alenza. I do not know how to describe the noise difference between the Alenza and the LTX but on the new smooth paved sections there is a difference.

You never know, you may really like the Alenza, there are many that do.

I think the more I search, the more I find strong claims for each.

I think either tire would be good.

If I could clearly determine that one had a significant rolling resistance advantage over the other, say 1 mpg difference, I would choose the more fuel efficient.

I have done a lot of searching, and can find no way to compare the rolling resistance of the Alenza with the LTX.

If anyone knows, please post.

In the absence of any data, I think I'll either flip a coin, or just choose the cheaper, which, at the moment, is Michelin.

Thank you.

DG

Well, I phoned Bridgestone tech support. I asked how the rolling resistance of the Alenza compared to the D684. The tech support guy told me that the Dueler Alenza exceeded the Dueler D684.

Since, according to Consumer Reports, the rolling resistance of the D684 exceeded the LTX; and, according to Bridgestone, the Alenze rolling resistance exceeds the D684; then the ALenza must really exceed the LTX.

So, the Alenza should be clearly more fuel efficient than the LTX.

Yet no way to really confirm that. I know of no head-to-head comparison.

I guess it boils down to "Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances."

DG

I had a 96 Grand cherokee and had 2 sets of the Mich LTX's M/S. First set went 75,000 miles and was replaced with a second set that went 82,000 miles. Both sets had very acceptable tread left but I felt that as long as I had them it was time to get new. No issues with either set; actually I was amazed that whenever I had a nail/screw etc go into the tire when they repaired it I found that it never actually went all the way through.

Thay handle far better then the Goodyear Wranglers and compared to them are a lot quieter. I used them in just about all conditions, very deep snow, even 5-6 inch deep mudd (No these are not mudders) but they did very well and shedded enough mudd to keep me going.

If there are any fualts I would say that I always noticed that when going turning around corners they seemed to loose a little traction in snow. Never enough to cause an issue.

They are an excellent tire all the way.

I now have a 98 Grand with a 5.9L and just bought another set of Mich LTX's.

2k3 Dodge Durango 4x4 - Bridgestone Revo Dueler A/T
2k5 Volvo XC90 - Bridgestone Revo Dueler H/L
2k1 Audi TT 225QR - Bridgestone P009 Potenzas

Enough said.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back