Could we discuss other brands please.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
Whats the deal with the Helix Ultra being so expensive in the US ?
Here it is at the same price point as M1 5w-50, various Castrol Formula R's, etc.
dunno.gif

Because it's imported by Shell specifically for Ferrari dealers, and they are the ones who set the price. It is not a retail product for Shell in the US, though anyone can in fact buy it at wholesale from them. (As many independent specialty shops that service Ferraris do.) I contacted my local Shell distributor a couple of years ago and he told me he could get me all the Helix Ultra I wanted, provided I was prepared to buy it in 55 gal drums. The price was very reasonable at less than $4 per quart.

The Helix Ultra 10w60 that is spec'd for the Ferrari Enzo is, I believe, imported directly by Ferrari. Since this is not brought over by Shell in huge wholesale quantities, that is the reason this particular grade of Helix Ultra is priced so high at Ferrari dealers--something like $60 per quart.

Keep in mind that both the Quaker State and Pennzoil Ultra European Formula 5w30s are relabeled Helix Ultra, so that is the easiest way to buy this oil "off the shelf."

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
...add to that McLaren importing Mobil 1 5w-50...just for their shop use.

Given that Mobil 1 5w50 is factory fill and sole recommended service fill for the new MB/McLaren SLR, and certain MB dealers will be authorized to service these cars, MBUSA will probably be importing this oil as well.

And let's not forget Castrol Formula R 10w60, which is imported by BMW of North America for use in the M3.

Nothing special and really overpriced in Europe. May be 10-12 years ago it was really among the bests, but not now. Seems Shell remains the only company that labels its mainly gr.III Helix Ultra 5W-40 as a "full synthetic". As for 10W-60 price, for $60/l I would not be against to break the monopoly of Ferrari dealers provided the number of Ferrari is a little bit higher.

I've used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Car: '96 Audi S6 2.2 Turbo. Car run fine before and after.

i agree with alot of you..i wouldn't give the time of day to any mass produced oil like pennz, castrol etc. they use the very cheapest additives...its the company of deceit...i will stick with redline, motul

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i agree with alot of you..i wouldn't give the time of day to any mass produced oil like pennz, castrol etc. they use the very cheapest additives...its the company of deceit...i will stick with redline, motul

Yeah...whatever.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back