microfiber wash mitts good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Car Luver:
see microfiber wash mitts for sale these days. do they work better than the trusty sheepskin ones?

I've been using the cheap ones you get in a bag from Costco for about 2 years on cars with pristine black paint. I'm not seeing any microscratches from the mit and they do a good job of cleaning. They will survive many trips through the washing machine, but are cheap enough that throwing one away that gets screwed up is no big deal.

I like them...but I've never used sheepskin. Prior to the MF wash mitts I was using 100% cotton wash mitts from Griot's Garage.

The MF mitts I use are Cobra's...I think I bought them from AutoGeek, although I no longer see them for sale on their site.

Tried both, use both.

Microfiber mitt washy thingy used when there is spots of tar/asphalt and/or dried-on bugs on the truck.

Sheepskin mitt used most of the time since I believe it is "easier" on the finish.

Dust, grit, even small stuff, if rubbed against the finish too hard is abrasive. Sure, not akin to sandpaper BUT, anything harder than the paint, the clear coat or the wax/sealant/whatever atop the finish that is rubbed against those things will cause scratches or wear.

I rub gently with little pressure and lots of car wash soap/water to help carry away the grit and crud. The sheepskin mitt is a softer gentler method, I believe. Heck, you could wash a baby with the thing but I wouldn't wax the kid afterwards.

I use the el cheapo lambskin mitts found at Wal-Mart. Sniff... made in China, sadly. I would pay more for an American mitt but won't go out of my way to buy American. I'll go to greater effort to buy a more expensive American product as I did with the bottle jack I had to order to avoid buying a China-made jack.

Even though that cheap China mitt is inexpensive it has lasted over a year and is likely good for one more year. Soft, deep pile, gentle on the face and finish. I suppose it's better for Chinese sheep to die than good all-American sheep.

Baaaaaaa Baaaaa

Think twice before using microfiber on the outside of your car.
I have a problem with a MicroTex towel I purchased at Wal-Mart.
This is a one foot square green towel advertised for cleaning glass that came two to a sleeve.
One day I cleaned a very dirty windshield with one of the towels and since then I noticed it leaving fine scratches on the windshield.
These scratches are very fine and look like spider webs at night or when driving into the sun.
Since this happened I have washed the towel several times by hand and several times in the washing machine and it will still leave scratches on the windshield.
The other matching towel that I have only used on the inside glass will not leave scratches.
The only thing that makes sense is the microfiber is holding grit that will not wash out.
I have never had this problem with the blue cotton towels that I once again use on the outside windows.
Now I have several microfiber towels that I only use on the inside glass and are washed after every use.

Good precautions and cautions the chap up there ^ threw into the fray.

As mentioned, I use the microfiber mitt only for stuff really hard to remove and those areas only. Also, the minimal force needed is used.

When washing my microfiber towells I use for drying I send 'em through two cycles to help remove the trapped crud. I also use vinegar in the first rinse cycle to help remove soap and udder crud. The second wash/rinse is plain water.

If I have any doubts about a towell holding onto grit I use it for applications such as house wall washing, etc. where scratching is not a concern.

When drying I only use the better quality towells with a deep "plush." They seem to come cleaner than the cheaper towells and I barely have to touch the vehicle's surface for the water to wick into it.

Still, as the hombre above says, yah' gotta' take care!!!

traditional microfiber is not suitable for washing your car, the pile isn't nearly as thick as a lambskin mitt so dirt has nowhere to go except the surface of the pile and can scratch the car.

I prefer the lambsckin first, then microfiber chenille, then cotton chenille. Target sells the microfiber chenille as does walmart.

quote:

Originally posted by ron350:
The only thing that makes sense is the microfiber is holding grit that will not wash out.

Yeah that does make sense, as the fibers are designed to grab...ever drop one of these towels? Itll pick up everything, dirt, sand, & sticks/twigs.

I dont like the idea of microfiber wash mits...I recon the fibers can be designed to do whatever you want them to do...Id be interested to see how these fibers are different that the towels...otherwise it just seems like youd be doing alot of damage swirling around dirt onto your finish.

I prefer the chanell covered sponges, theyre cheap at about 3 bucks each, once they get a little dirty I buy another and then the dirty ones get used for tires and other really dirty jobs...I currently have about 6 in my wash bucket, and having multiple sponges gets the job done quicker surprisingly.

my wife just got me one. it's ok, but it doesn't seem to get some stuff off the car without a bit too much effort.

if the car is just a little dusty (not covered with bird poop and baked on bugs) i'd say it's ok.

otherwise, stick with what ya got.

I recently got a microfiber mitt and it seems ok. I use the two mitt method. One is used above rocker panels and one below, including tires. You wouldn't believe how much grit that bottom mitt has, I wouldn't even wash it with anything else I used on the car.

I'd use a wash mitt with a deep pile to avoid scratching the paint. Microfiber towels are good for polishing out wax and for applying Lexol or whatever to your leather seats.
I use the two mitt routine also.

Dunno, how much do they cost?

I was at Sam's Club the other day and they had a 20-pack (I think) of Microfiber rags for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back