Oil Consumption FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an IH 826 tractor (D-358 engine) with over 8,000 hours. Last year, I switched it from straight 30 (the Case/IH brand) to Shell Rotella-T 15W-40. Oil consumption went from over a quart every 4-6 hours of hard work to much less than half a quart over the same period. Operating conditions are largely the same, as is the OCI (annually at about 60 hours). I haven't had this tractor all that long, but in recent years with its PO, it didn't work very hard compared to now (sickle mower vs heavy tillage). It also had an annual change previously but probably more hours. I'm sure the heavier oil helps, but I have learned from other owners that this engine (built by Neuss in Germany) prefers hard work and rpms over idling and no load stuff. If true, perhaps the operating conditions are more condusive to lower oil consumption. Comments?

offtopic.gif
Fuel consumptin is great too and has actually been improving every year. 4.5GPH first year, 4.1 last year and 4.0 this time over the same jobs and ground. I guess even old tractors get "buff" with exercise!
patriot.gif

All oils are not created equal. Case/IH probably does not make their own oil, actually I do not know of a single engine manufacturer that does, they put a contract out for bids, and most take the lowest bid then put their name on it. The Rotella 15-40 is a very high quality oil. I have found that most of the time oil "consumption" is due to volitization meaning it vaporizes off. Higher quality oils do not vaporize off as much, therefore less oil is "lost". I have engines that used 1 quart every 1200 miles. I switched to synthetics and consumption went down to 1 quart every 3000 miles.

I researched the whole issue of straight weight oils in engines a year or two ago. Read up about it here and at various tractor sites etc.

Consensus is that technology has "lagged" behind with the straight weight oils. Many engines originally specified them either becuase multigrade oils were unavailable, or multigrade oils were unreliable in comparison to stright weights, at least in severe duty situations.

Now the opposite is true. The best multi grade oils are better at any temp than whatever stright weight it is they are trying to copy. Exception perhaps is the 50wt racing oils.

Enjoy your new discovery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back