LSPI and driving style ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to better understand LSPI and the reason it happens . Besides a SN+ oil there is not much you can do other than the way you drive correct ? Example : I live in a hilly area , what I have been doing is when I come to a hill to go up I put car in sport mode and keep my speed so the car does not upshift , typically I keep the RPM around 2400 because in sport at 2800 it will shift up . An I right in my thinking ? Little traffic around here so you can pretty much drive as you like .

Running premium gasoline has merits according to a number of reports. It doesn't solve the situation completely but it helps.

If I'm not mistaken, LSPI typically occurs during RPM ranges of 1,500 to 2,000. Minimizing time spent during in this range and using an SN+ oil is definitely a good idea. However, I have to wonder, is "shooting" the engine through this range better or worse than a gradual increase through the range? I have no idea.

My understanding is that Low Speed Pre Ignition tends to happen in low RPM, high torque conditions...my car will tend to stay at low RPMs if I get on it but don't stomp on it, raising the boost instead of revs to give me more oomph.
I will often stab at my downshift paddle to raise the revs a bit if I get on it and almost always force a downshift in that manner if I stomp on it. I like the way the car responds better that way and also figure I might be helping to avoid LSPI.
The paddle response is a little too slow for me to enjoy full manual mode very much for sporty driving, but I love the paddles for tough winter driving as I can use engine braking easily and the response time doesn't matter then.

LSPI is really "designed-out" of engines by OEMs. This involves compromises that are not friendly to fuel economy (or fuel dilution), but seem to involve richening the mixture in any situation (rpm/throttle opening) where LSPI is possible. These measures seem to be effective, so I wouldn't worry about your own driving style.

Eventually, maybe when SN Plus oils are all that's out there, OEMs may dial back these protective measures to gain fuller advantage of TGDI technology. LSPI can be very destructive and if it were common you'd hear many stories about destroyed engines. As it is, there are just a few from early TGDI Subarus and 1.5T GM engines.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Do you drive a Hyundai Kia? and if so, please tell me your not using 87 octane in it.

2015 VW Jetta 1.8t I normally have a mixture of 87 and 89 from Bp in it . The normal rpm range is 1300 to 2000 rpm . Car is amazing on gas , i can see 38-39 mpg combined

Last edited:
From what i unserstand its lugging that is the culprit in a LSPI situation . Like going uphill in a high gear ?

Most modern vehicles run their engines between 1500-2000 rpm. It would be hard to avoid that range. Jackrabbit starts will take their toll in other ways.

Do you drive a Hyundai Kia? and if so, please tell me your not using 87 octane in it.

My sonata pings like a pinball machine on 87.

Originally Posted by JustinH

My sonata pings like a pinball machine on 87.

Girlfriend has a 17 Optima, daughter has a 16 Accent. Before my 17 Soul I had a 13 Rio. None of 'em pinged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back