UK Smart Meter taken apart - BigCliveDotCom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this channel. He takes a whole bunch of stuff apart and explains the circuits verbally and most of the time with a diagram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
SaskPower shelved the plan here, with them burning houses down. Mine was switched, then switched back.

I've had one for 5 years now and it is original with no issues. My folks have had theirs for 7 years and no issues. Nothing in our local news about them. I think they might have had a bad batch in the beginning but that's about it.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
We need a US version of this video now!!

There are quite a few out there...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smart+meter+teardown

Ours may very well be a different brand than what Ontario got. Now, there were other issues. The ground got very dry and there was a lot of shifting, and some houses that got the new meters weren't set up with sufficient slack in the lines. So, things got pulled that shouldn't have, and that's problem one. Problem two was media amplification. Rest assured if they left it on my house, I wouldn't have been phoning SaskPower in a panic for them to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Garak
SaskPower shelved the plan here, with them burning houses down. Mine was switched, then switched back.

I've had one for 5 years now and it is original with no issues. My folks have had theirs for 7 years and no issues. Nothing in our local news about them. I think they might have had a bad batch in the beginning but that's about it.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
We need a US version of this video now!!

There are quite a few out there...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smart+meter+teardown

Hydro One had a huge issue with them catching fire, not being accurate....etc.

Overkill, my folks are on Hydro One and I'm on Horizon (now Alectra). Meters are different but neither had an issue. My parents did have over billing going on though and had their meter swapped out after about a year of getting it, for being inaccurate by 30% or more.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
We switched-over a few years ago and am darn happy. I can leave the gate locked now. The meter reader just walks by outside the fence and doesn't need to evade the dogs etc... The new meter seems to register more generously as our bills are coming in about 10% lower. Also, I can get usage graphs to see the effect of how subtle changes in appliances impact energy use. There's a lot of tin foil hat conspiracy theorists about smart meters -and I find them quite entertaining.

It's kinda sad how the AMR I install daily is simultaneously putting the meter reader (me) out of business

But progress is progress, and people are much happier with an accurate bill

This is an international electric meter

There's many types of meters/add ons used here in the U.S on our Gas/Electric/Water meters

I'm not gonna miss the dog bites though...

Originally Posted by StevieC
Overkill, my folks are on Hydro One and I'm on Horizon (now Alectra). Meters are different but neither had an issue. My parents did have over billing going on though and had their meter swapped out after about a year of getting it, for being inaccurate by 30% or more.
crazy2.gif

Obviously not all of them are going to catch fire, but a significant number of them did.

On the over-billing:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...l-smart-meters-after-years-of-complaints

Originally Posted by National Post
Malfunctioning meters were among several issues that caused a customer relations nightmare for Hydro One in 2013 and 2014. When Hydro moved to a new billing system, it was buried with complaints, numbering in the tens of thousands. Some customers were double and tripled bills; some had no bills for months; others were comically billed millions in overcharges.

When Ontario's ombudsman stepped in, the office of André Marin was flooded with more than 10,000 complaints. Hydro admitted its errors, even sending about a million letters of apology to its customers.

The introduction of smart meters to Ontario, mandated by the Liberal government at a cost of about $2 billion, created peak and off-peak rates that were to spark a conservation drive across the province. The results have been disappointing.

Also, in the same article, apparently they are manually reading ~36,000 smart meters that don't reliably link up to be "smart". It's a Gong Show.

For sure, didn't mean to imply that none of them caught fire, just that they didn't seem to have one is all.

It really is a gong show.

I think we had a total of 8 fires over 100,000 installs. Apparently, there was a lot of shoddy install work, combined with a dry year and ground heaving. They're supposed to make a comeback; I imagine the company that was doing it would like to get paid, but they actually have to supply something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back