Look what UPS brought today! More Ravenol!

Originally Posted by burla
better is always in eye of beholder, many people think group 3 is better.

I tend to agree, I personally think nothing can beat the Amsoil HD Diesel and Marine oil but I'm always open to party with a new oil

Is the implication of this statement that AMSOIL's SS lineup is Group 3? Because that'd be a pretty baseless assertion.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Is the implication of this statement that AMSOIL's SS lineup is Group 3? Because that'd be a pretty baseless assertion.

I thought amsoil was group 4? Am I missing something

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Not really baseless at all, Ravenol tells you with their oils that they are pao based, Redline tells you they are ester/pao based, even redline's second lineup states that they use pao base oil. Now, I haven't seen Amsoil commit to those base oil likes ravenol and redline do, and in fact the fact the hths drops suggests that under high heat the base oil doesn't hold up as well as group 4/5 oils. What proof do you have that amsoil is like ravenol and redline and use pao as their base oil?

You don't have to think if ravenol or redline uses group 4/5 base oils because they tell you so. Is amsoil now telling us the newest oils are back to group 4 like they used to say? or are you guys assuming so?

We don't know it's Group 4 or a mix of 4&5 or all 3. It was at one time all PAO when they advertised it being made from 100% PAO (minus the additive carriers). But when they stopped this advertisement and some folks took this to mean they cheapened out the formula or Amsoil is hiding something.

And because Amsoil won't divulge the formula because they want to keep it proprietary for competitive reasons people use the "See they are snake oil folks and can't be trusted" approach meanwhile XOM or Shell won't do it either. Then they jump on the bandwagon with "see they aren't API licensed or officially Dexos Certified so what are they hiding" non-sense. Well the turkeys on here anyway.

They Forget the fact that they actually have an API licensed line of oils called OE and also carry Euro Manufacturer approval on those oils because they needed it in order to sell it. So they are capable but just not willing to fork over hoards of cash for official certification and then have their wings clipped on how much they can add to an oil like ZDDP etc. because the API is behind the times.

I mean it's not like they have been around since the 1970's with 0 class action lawsuits and ever increasing sales year over year. Heck even show me any grenaded transmission anywhere using one of their "Multi-Vehicle" ATF's that apparently can't possibly work and satisfy multiple OE requirements all at the same time. Where are those class action lawsuits? Oh that's right. THEY DON'T EXIST.

I could care less if their oils are made out of unicorn tears or SPAM. It has always given me great results along with others here even after long runs, I use it with confidence in anything I can from my own vehicles to family vehicles and my Santa Fe ran on it for most of its life and wasn't using any oil when it snapped the camshaft from a casting defect at 300,000 miles (535,000km). So that's good enough for me as is M1 or Pennzoil or Valvoline or whatever is for others.

Oh forgot to mention... There is a guy the that drove a Chevy Van a million miles on it and Amsoil verified the story. It was written up in one of their newsletters. But I wouldn't believe that because it comes from a biased source is what most folks will claim but just so you know the story exists. Or the other one where a guy drove a Pontiac Transport van 427,000 miles on it as well. Or the Toyota that clocked 500,000 miles on Amsoil. But again biased. Then there is my 300,000 mile run, some guy on the Internet that only a few BITOG members have met in person.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/million_mile_van.pdf
http://oilordering.com/pontiac-trans-sport-to-hit-500000-miles-this-year/
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/testimonials/articles/toyota-clocks-over-500-000-miles/

Anyway, FWIW. Maybe my PentaStar will make it a long time and I can prove how good it is with one real world example.

Base Oils aren't the be all end/all and indicitive of quality, perhaps in the past when oil technology wasn't where it is today base oils were the best thing to determine an oils quality but a group III with the right blending and ad-pack can outperform leaps and bounds a PAO oil with an ad-pack of say 15 years ago. So to advertise "We are PAO" and use that marketing to imply that they are better because of it is non-sense if it doesn't hold up well over time or when stressed or in terms of wear etc. then it's useless. But whatever floats someones boat I guess.

And just so I'm clear, I could care less what anyone uses and I'm not advocating for Amsoil. Just sharing my experiences with it, others that I'm aware of that seemed to have great experiences with it and cleaning up an rhetoric where it appears and there is lots of that here.

Last edited:
For example, look at the first sentence here.

RAVENOL DXG SAE 5W-30 is a PAO (Polyalphaolefin) based, fully synthetic low friction motor oil ........

So I showed you mine, show me yours? I haven't looked for a long time, does Amsoil now state they are group 4 just like Ravenol did?

Stevie the entire it always served me well argument only holds water if the formula remains the same, there is no telling what the newer lower viscosity Amsoil ss will do for you right? It certainly looks like a formula that keeps up with the times, an oil built with di turbos in mind, low viscosity for fuel economy, low aw additives to satisfy api goals, but will it serve older engines well for 500k miles like before? Why would it? It is vastly different oil.

For example, look at the first sentence here.

RAVENOL DXG SAE 5W-30 is a PAO (Polyalphaolefin) based, fully synthetic low friction motor oil ........

So I showed you mine, show me yours? I haven't looked for a long time, does Amsoil now state they are group 4 just like Ravenol did?

Stevie the entire it always served me well argument only holds water if the formula remains the same, there is no telling what the newer lower viscosity Amsoil ss will do for you right? It certainly looks like a formula that keeps up with the times, an oil built with di turbos in mind, low viscosity for fuel economy, low aw additives to satisfy api goals, but will it serve older engines well for 500k miles like before? Why would it? It is vastly different oil.

36.gif

Not really baseless at all,

No, it's entirely baseless bovine excrement that you are eschewing because you have nothing better to do than troll BITOG.

Ravenol tells you with their oils that they are pao based,

Yes, Ravenol chooses to advertise that their oils are PAO-based

Redline tells you they are ester/pao based, even redline's second lineup states that they use pao base oil.

Where, on the Redline website, does it explicitly state they use PAO and esters?

From the High Performance line:
Originally Posted by Redline
Full-synthetic ester formula for passenger cars, light trucks, performance vehicles and marine applications

From the Professional series:
Originally Posted by Redline
FULL SYNTHETIC -- OEM-required Group III/Group IV PAO Base Stocks

In fact most of the lore surrounding Redline being "all esters" was hashed out, on this board, through MSDS sheets which showed that their top-tier product was majority PAO, not ester-based at all.

Oh, and the Professional 5w-30 is majority Group III. Check out the MSDS.

Now, I haven't seen Amsoil commit to those base oil likes ravenol and redline do,

Based on the Redline website, their verbiage is no more clear than AMSOIL's:

Originally Posted by AMSOIL
Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil does not contain paraffins (wax) and stays fluid in temperatures of -58ºF and lower.

No paraffins = PAO based, as Group III still requires PPD's to prevent the formation of wax crystals.

and in fact the fact the hths drops suggests that under high heat the base oil doesn't hold up as well as group 4/5 oils.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'd suggest starting with XOM's PAO base oil catalogue. Want to make a wild guess at what the HTHS is of PAO 4? What about PAO 6?

The HTHS isn't "dropping". These oils are being INTENTIONALLY blended with lighter bases to hit the GF-5 viscosity range. Look at this Ravenol product:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-fes-sae-0w-30.html

It has an HTHS of 3.0cP!!! Does that mean it must be blended from bull urine and beaver vomit?

Oh wait, it says it's PAO-based, how is that possible when burla said that low HTHS means it's blended from junk?

Again, you'd have learned this already if you were more inclined to read and process rather than just troll and start fights.

What proof do you have that amsoil is like ravenol and redline and use pao as their base oil?

Well, aside from the no wax quote above, and the fact that their pour points are extremely low for the Signature Series line, which, while useless for cold temperature performance, does tell a story of base oil selection, we have this quote from Pablo, the resident AMSOIL rep:

Originally Posted by Pablo
They don't give Gary or me proprietary info.

The XL line is the only one that is Group III.

The other synthetic oils are various mixes of Group IV and V. In general the more expensive Amsoil oils contain more esters. And that's the main issue with esters, cost.

Unfortunately, like Redline has now chosen to do, AMSOIL's MSDS doesn't explicitly state what base is in it.

Wow... since we're entirely off topic now... how bout those Bears?

My whole point of sharing is trying to get some of the lesser-seen oils on here, and more oil filters in sizes people use (especially 3/4-16 and 20x1.5 since I have 3 vehicles that use them). A little discussion is nice, but sticking to facts and data would be great. That's what drew me to this site, and that's what I'm trying to contribute.

Everybody have a great evening!
smile.gif

I checked with them to see if they have a distributor in Canada and they do not at this time... Here are the e-mail responses.
----------------------

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your interest in RAVENOL products!

At this time, we do not have a distributor in your area. You will need to purchase online from our website or from one of our other online distributors (Blauparts.com, Ebay, or Amazon). If you have any other questions please contact us again.

Have a great day!

Ethan Filipek
Commercial Sales Lead
RAVENOL AMERICA LLC

p: +1 (920) 758-3248

a: 4921 County Rd. CR, Suite B, Manitowoc, WI 54220

--------------------------

E-mail response #2 where I asked if they would consider selling it on Amazon.ca

Hello Steve,

It is possible that we will in the future, but right now the cost to do so makes our product extremely expensive in the Canadian market and our labels are not up to Canadian regulations either.

Thanks,

Ethan Filipek

----------------------------

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Wow... since we're entirely off topic now... how bout those Bears?

My whole point of sharing is trying to get some of the lesser-seen oils on here, and more oil filters in sizes people use (especially 3/4-16 and 20x1.5 since I have 3 vehicles that use them). A little discussion is nice, but sticking to facts and data would be great. That's what drew me to this site, and that's what I'm trying to contribute.

Everybody have a great evening!
smile.gif

Sorry bud, wasn't my intention to derail this thread. There was no reason to turn this into some brand-bash fest, so it is unfortunate that it happened.

Thanks for your sharing! I think Ravenol products are really quite interesting and I'm a fan of them promoting their use of PAO, as it is unusual and thus stands-out.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Overkill, I wasn't specifically targeting your responses, because at least they attempted to relate to the OP. It's all good...

cheers3.gif

Back