Change filter each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
I thought research showed a filters efficiency(ability to trap particles) increases with use up to a point. Has to do with pore plugging in the media over time. This is where synthetic media filters like the Fram Ultra excel. If you change it at 5k miles you are gaining nothing and simply throwing away your money.

Is there any data supporting this?

Simple eyeball test is your data. Take a look at all-of the filter dissections in this board room. Most-all filters reach landfills with less than 33-50% fill-rate.

So many here insist on changing filters with each oil change. But would they do it, should that landfill be in their own backyard?

Do you guys not have a recycling facility that takes used oil and filters? My local dump/waste facility has both. I take both and empty my used in oil in big vats that have set up and other bins to toss your used oil filters in.

The filters get crushed/squeezed of oil and the metal, paper, etc is then recycled. Very little like ends up in a landfill. Best of all, they charge zero disposal fees for recycling recyclables. These include paints, solvents, batteries, propane tanks, etc.
http://cleanalliance.com/our-servic...recycling-services/oil-filter-recycling/
http://www.waste-diversion.ca/oilrecycling/

If your city/township doesn't have a place to recycle your oil and filters, and a host of other things, ask why?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
I thought research showed a filters efficiency(ability to trap particles) increases with use up to a point. Has to do with pore plugging in the media over time. This is where synthetic media filters like the Fram Ultra excel. If you change it at 5k miles you are gaining nothing and simply throwing away your money.

Is there any data supporting this?

Simple eyeball test is your data. Take a look at all-of the filter dissections in this board room. Most-all filters reach landfills with less than 33-50% fill-rate.

So many here insist on changing filters with each oil change. But would they do it, should that landfill be in their own backyard?

Do you guys not have a recycling facility that takes used oil and filters? My local dump/waste facility has both. I take both and empty my used in oil in big vats that have set up and other bins to toss your used oil filters in.

The filters get crushed/squeezed of oil and the metal, paper, etc is then recycled. Very little like ends up in a landfill. Best of all, they charge zero disposal fees for recycling recyclables. These include paints, solvents, batteries, propane tanks, etc.

If your city/township doesn't have a place to recycle your oil and filters, and a host of other things, ask why?

All or my local O'Really auto parts stores take both filters and used oil to recycle.

The graph that has been shown here often actually shows efficiency decreasing until the spike up just before full loading.

Is there any data supporting this?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

All or my local O'Really auto parts stores take both filters and used oil to recycle.

[/quote]

I know our local CDN Tire store does as well but I am unsure about Part Source or Car Quest or the many other jobber type stores like these?
I just got back from the dump and like I mentioned, I paid "0" dollars to take the jugs of used oil and filters there. I had 3 small 12V batteries with me as well and the same goes for them too. Zero fees to dispose of them.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Talking about oil in landfills, I see countless dissections on here with used oil all over the place. I assume it is wiped up and put in the trash.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
Talking about oil in landfills, I see countless dissections on here with used oil all over the place. I assume it is wiped up and put in the trash.
You mean the photos of media that's still saturated, or beyond saturated, with oil? I agree. Besides, it would be easier to see what has been captured in the media if the excess oil was drained off.

Where I have a second home (San Bernardino County) the county has a program where they go to various Autozone and O'Reilly's with oil and oil filter recycling programs. They give you a 10-12 qt oil change container, 5 gallon bucket with tight closing lid, towel and up to 3 oil filters FREE with 3 used filters exchanged. Both stores take used filters as well as oil. I haven't store bought a oil filter in over 2 years. I stopped at 2 the oil container and bucket..just get the free oil filters.

Oil filters dont get "recycled". How can Oil soaked paper get reused? Theyre probably sending it to a trash burning plant. They make a little power from the steam and send the ashes through electromagnets to pick up the iron. Plants like this raise air pollution concerns. Its either that or sending it to a landfill.

Originally Posted by Kage860
Oil filters dont get "recycled". How can Oil soaked paper get reused? Theyre probably sending it to a trash burning plant. They make a little power from the steam and send the ashes through electromagnets to pick up the iron. Plants like this raise air pollution concerns. Its either that or sending it to a landfill.

The process of recycling oil-filters usually involves the following steps:

Collection and transport of filters in drums, totes, bins and other various containment units, to our processing facility
Primary draining and collection of free-running oil
Shredding of filter casings to liberate paper
Separating metal from paper
Extracting of oil from paper
Collecting and marketing waste oil > Refinery
Collecting and marketing paper > High BTU fuel

Collecting and marketing steel > Foundry

[/quote]

I know our local CDN Tire store does as well but I am unsure about Part Source or Car Quest or the many other jobber type stores like these?
I just got back from the dump and like I mentioned, I paid "0" dollars to take the jugs of used oil and filters there. I had 3 small 12V batteries with me as well and the same goes for them too. Zero fees to dispose of them.
cheers3.gif
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^

There ya go irv. That's the way to do it. I take mine to Jolly pond place near me. It's a good way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back