2013 Ford F150 3.5 EB, 5,283 mi Motorcraft Blend 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First uoa on my new to me F150. I'll take it! Going to go with 7,500 mile OCI.

Screenshot_20181019-075631.png

Last edited:
Twin Turbo / Synthetic Blend

Excellent wear numbers. I wouldn't hesitate to go to 7500. dnewton3 would appreciate this.

Excellent report. My 2014 MKS with the 3.5 EB is under 6 yr, 100,000 extended warranty and the dealer told me that they recommend a 5,000 mi OCI with the MC blend. I asked about synthetic and they said the blend is all I need. Your results prove that.

yep it is sn+ now the top part of the label has been updated from "friction fighting formula" to "helps prevent piston damage" or something like that.

Viscosity KV100 was a little low. Fuel dilution in a turbo DI engine is common. Use an HTHS 3.5 5w-30 SN oil like Pennzoil Euro L or Mobil1 ESP 5w30, still a "5w30" but fights fuel dilution better due to its higher HTHS.

In our 2.3 EB I ran Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend, not SN+ for 4,275 miles from Aug to Dec 2017. The Calcium was 1881 vs yours of 1781 but the magnesium was 86 vs yours of 589 and my moly is 25 vs yours of 195. The Boron is about the same, 30 ish. Yours, while seared a bit it's just in grade. My sample sheared well out of 30 weight grade into 20 weight in fewer miles. I was under the impression that in order to be a SN+ it has to have much less calcium or maybe that's Dexos 1 Gen 2 which have calcium levels of around 1100.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Viscosity KV100 was a little low. Fuel dilution in a turbo DI engine is common. Use an HTHS 3.5 5w-30 SN oil like Pennzoil Euro L or Mobil1 ESP 5w30, still a "5w30" but fights fuel dilution better due to its higher HTHS.

Where's the fuel dilution? The report is "TR" for trace that is too low to report a percentage value.

This my fourth gas turbo engined vehicle since 2000. I used HTHS 3.5 premium quality euro oils in the previous 3 vehicles and NONE of them had a UOA report as good as this one - although they were very good.

From this UOA the Motorcraft Blend oil appears to be excellent in this application. I'll keep using it until an UOA indicates otherwise.

Besides I've got 3 free oil changes with the Ford dealer to take advantage of. :)

Last edited:
Viscosity KV100 was a little low. Fuel dilution in a turbo DI engine is common.

A little low... for what? Your preference? It's obvious these engines don't care about a little fuel dilution, OR the thin oils. Sure, there are plenty of people that DO run 5W30s for their own "feel-good", but this UOA and others show there's obviously something different with today's oils that just don't seem to care about some fuel dilution. IIRC, there was a UOA of a 3.5EB on here with around 9.5% fuel dilution and his wear was still below 1.2ppm FE/1k miles... that kind of wear is insignificant over the average lifetime of just about any vehicle.

Manufacturers would have raised a much bigger stink about thin oils in GDI apps if warranty failures had trended up significantly, so there's another source of proof that heavier oils are not necessary.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Viscosity KV100 was a little low. Fuel dilution in a turbo DI engine is common.
A little low... for what? Your preference?.....there are plenty of people that DO run 5W30s for their own "feel-good",
KV100 was down 20% from original spec 5w30 oil. (Ending visc was a 20 weight.) ..J300 SAE's & Ford's "preference", not mine. ... This engine is spec'ed for 5w30, not anybody's "feel good" or for your 5w20 you want here.
Get real. Get the facts.

Originally Posted by audi_guy
Where's the fuel dilution? The report is "TR" for trace that is too low to report a percentage value.
Low flashpoint indicates fuel in the oil. Some of the 20% visc loss is due to shearing, to be sure, yet the low flashpoint indicates some fuel in the oil, and in only a short run of 5k miles, not great. With a fuel diluter, its best to go up in HTHS a tad. You might be fine if you don't drive it hard though. No towing or hot weather hard driving with thinning oil like that though.

Just yesterday I believe there was a thread about synblends no longer being a viable choice what with the low prices of full syns. I beg to differ. I'm currently running a 5w30 full synthetic in a Toyota. Never even dawned on me to try a Motorcraft lube but this one looks outstanding. Next OC gonna give this stuff a whirl and I don't even have boost or GDI.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Just yesterday I believe there was a thread about synblends no longer being a viable choice what with the low prices of full syns. I beg to differ. I'm currently running a 5w30 full synthetic in a Toyota. Never even dawned on me to try a Motorcraft lube but this one looks outstanding. Next OC gonna give this stuff a whirl and I don't even have boost or GDI.

Motorcraft is OK. Problem is, WPD doesn't show up on a UOA. Its difficult to score better on WPD using a blend with conventional GroupII in it.

Very few perfect UOA out there. This one is excellent and Motorcraft SN Plus did it's job... and then some.

This my fourth gas turbo engined vehicle since 2000. I used HTHS 3.5 premium quality euro oils in the previous 3 vehicles and NONE of them had a UOA report as good as this one - although they were very good.

From this UOA the Motorcraft Blend oil appears to be excellent in this application. I'll keep using it until an UOA indicates otherwise.

Besides I've got 3 free oil changes with the Ford dealer to take advantage of. :)

Why are you so concerned with the engine oil samples (having UOA's done), being you get rid of vehicles every 4-5 years - that in all likelihood, have under 100K on the odometer, when shopping for the next new one?

Not everyone that does UOAs is doing it because they expect to keep the car forever. For many people it's just a hobby and it is interesting to get the info.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Why are you so concerned with the engine oil samples (having UOA's done), being you get rid of vehicles every 4-5 years - that in all likelihood, have under 100K on the odometer, when shopping for the next new one?

Because being a technically oriented person I prefer to have actual data on how well the oil and engine are doing.

I do keep cars a long time however. Three previous vehicles from new put 210k, 325k, and 230k miles on them before moving on. Just in the last few years have I changed cars in a short period in that my needs changed. I no longer needed the Duramax or the 01 Audi S4. The dmax 2500hd was just too uncomfortable on long trips and the S4 was getting expensive to maintain for a daily driver.

Now with the Audi A6 and F150 they will be kept for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back