Amsoil Synthetic SAE 30W Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
code:

Amsoil Synthetic SAE 30W Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (Product Code: ACD)

NOTE: This was previously listed as a straight 30W but now is also listed as 10W-30

Batch #: 8848(J or 1)35

Lab: Blackstone Laboratories

Sample Date: March 23, 2005

TBN: Not Done, listed as >12 from spec sheet

Aluminum 0

Chromium 0

Iron 2

Copper 0

Lead 1

Tin 0

Molybdenum 0

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 0

Silicon 3

Sodium 2

Calcium 2787

Magnesium 14

Phosphorus 974

Zinc 1028

Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @210F 62.0 (Should be 62-74)

Flashpoint (F) 465 (Should be >420)

Fuel % -

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0

I'm currently using this in my lawn mower and tractor, the lack of Boron and Moly is particularly disturbing. This will be the first and last time I run this in my equipment although to-date this appears to be working ok.

All values triple checked

Most HD diesel oils are not friction modified with Moly, and Amsoil has other additives in this formulation to prevent corrosive wear. If you test a used sample of this oil, you'll see it holds up like a rock, even in commercial applications like marine inboards or bulldozers.

The Amsoil 30wt was the first synthetic diesel on the market when it was first introduced in 1975. To say that it's well proven product would be an understatement. I had a customer who safely TRIPLED their service intervals with this oil in a small fleet of six cylinder, Mercedes cabover trucks, way back in the 1980-1983 timeframe.

I wouldn't take too much stock in VOA's....

Tooslick

I believe this oil has thinned lately, it used to be a kind of thick 30W about a year or so ago and it's gotten somewhat thinner.

CincyGTS,

I noticed that you are a "software engineer", so your complete lack of understanding about materials science and trobology is to be expected...
wink.gif
Heck, I have a tough time even finding the power button on my G-4 Laptop or loading in a CD....

All is forgiven!!!
shocked.gif

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
CincyGTS,

I noticed that you are a "software engineer", so your complete lack of understanding about materials science and trobology is to be expected...
wink.gif
Heck, I have a tough time even finding the power button on my G-4 Laptop or loading in a CD....

All is forgiven!!!
shocked.gif

Tooslick

I haven't really done much reading on diesel grade oils. I was just figuring that the additive package in a diesel grade oil would be better suited to lawn equipment than maybe a gasoline grade.

I've run this for about 6 hours so far in the tractor and it still looks pretty good; I'm working through some of the older/dino 30W right now in the push mower.

Oh, and the power button thingie, that's an IT issue
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CincyGTS:
I'm currently using this in my lawn mower and tractor, the lack of Boron and Moly is particularly disturbing. This will be the first and last time I run this in my equipment although to-date this appears to be working ok. ...

OK, I've been running this stuff in my mower and tractor with 1-1.5 oz of LC and it is working extremely well, I hereby retract my earlier statements.

The first change on this oil seemed to clean quite a bit out gunk out of my tractor (which I got as a concession when I purchased my home).

The mower, a Toro with B&S 6.5HP engine, doesn't seem to dirty the oil at all, very very very little consumption.

The tractor doesn't seem to use any oil but is ever so slightly dirty.

I don't know if it's practical to get clean samples on these to send in.

Amsoil must have reformulated this grade, as they are now advertising it as the 10W-30/SAE 30 instead of just a monograde. The previously listed 100'C was 11.4-11.5, and now they are showing it at 10.9 on the website. I received an email a few days ago from Amsoil that the HT/HS of the oil is 3.4, which is not shown on the website.

No VI improvers so it has to be shear stable, a 10W-30 range (40'C=71 to 100C'=10.9), all the best diesel (CI-4+, et al) & cleaning agents, TBN of 12, and this stuff is cheaper than the other Amsoil PAO-based syns. I'm hopelessly hooked on trying this in my vehicles & lawnmower going forward. I like the concept: someone posted an airplane article a week ago extolling the virtues of monograde oils...which was an interesting read.

It has a CCV of 5165cp @ -25C which is about as good as the Series 3000 which is advertised as 5012cp @ -25C. Don't know about cold pumpability.

The S3000 data sheet was not fully updated....

The new SAE "J300" spec (June of 2001?) requires that the CCS (cold crank simulator), viscosity of SAE 5w lubricants be tested @ -30C/-22F and not -25C/-13F as was the case in the past.

The CCS viscosity of the S3000 is 5012 Centipoise @ -30C and the VI is 174 as I recall....

Think of ACD as a more fuel efficient version of AME....

Roger that TS. If the Series 3 is 5000@ -30 then what might it be at -25 to give me a comparison. Would it be in the neighborhood of 3500Cp at -25?
Man, the Amsoil data is misleading... I looked up the ASL and it gives CCV of 5067@ -25, then it gives the ATM a CCV of 3067@ -25. So the 10w30 cold cranks better than the 5w30? Arggg! I wish the Superior Crew would keep the web updated for bone heads like me that actually read the stuff.

Well I just put 4 gallons of this stuff in my 6.0 today. I'm using the EAO-88 filter and standard BE100 bypass. Next run of ACD will have the new EA BP filter. Big Al's gettin closer to retirement so I gotta help him all I can.
I have a sample of Rotella 5w40 with 9500 miles out of this truck that I'll be posting as soon as it comes back from Blackstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back