Motorex Synt 4T 10w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a virgin oil analysis for the Motorex Full Synthetic 10w-50 oil recommended for KTM motorcycles

-

Any comments on the Boron?

Thanks for the post . I was wondering what that oil looked like .

Big boron makes the world go round

FWIW they are coming to the USA with their entire passenger car line soon . They make some nice 5w- and 0w-30's .

The AW additives look a little light to me. Any care to guess why the Boron is so high? I'm looking for an alternative to this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by ssls6:
The AW additives look a little light to me. Any care to guess why the Boron is so high?

The boron is for anti-wear .

Maxima is a great alternative . Big zinc and phos there and priced right at one online source I know of .

I'm not certain anything currently beats Maxima

Blackstone said the Boron was a dispersant. Where can I learn more about the role of Boron? Based on the ZDP, I'm not too impressed.

http://www.luboron.com/
www.rtvanderbilt.com

Much much more can be googled , google is our friend
smile.gif

and I think it's touched on here in the additive section

More can be read about boron by searching " boron " member "59" in the text of posts in the Car and Truck engine oil section .

There is much to these oils . Lack of 1800ppm zinc does not mean it's a poor oil . Proof is in performance although big zinc/phos with all the other good adds and synthetic base oils never ever hurts

Would this oil be a good candidate for doping with 1 oz/qtr of Vavoline Synthetic Oil Treatment?

This is interesting oil and thanks for the post, ssls6. KTM is very specific about recommending this Swiss-made Motorex. I wonder why they recommend a 50-weight at all, since all the moving parts turn on ball or roller bearings--all except the piston/rings, that is. Maybe that's it. Maybe KTM uses pistons with teeny skirts and only 1 ring, and they need the thick oil to help seal that one ring.

GM EOS has 6600 ppm ZDDP. If you add 1 ounce per quart it will add 200ppm zinc to your oil. It's thick, as are the valvoline additives. I doubt that it will excessively thicken the oil. The high moly additives may make the clutch slip(?)

What is GM EOS? Can it be bought from a GM parts dealer?

Never mind...I found a reference to EOS. It looks like this will up the Motorex ZDP into the range I'm looking for. I also found some Fleetrite defoamer to up the antifoaming ability of the oil.

[ January 23, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: ssls6 ]

You did not ask me but I would not add that stuff to this oil .
smile.gif

With 2ppm Si , it looks like they are using a different type de-foamant in the brew .

Question , with some miles on the oil are you seeing these bubbles or is it just after you put fresh oil in it ?

This is the dry sump Adventurer V-Twin correct ? How many miles does it have ?

You are correct on the model. The bike has 1800 miles.

I contacted Motorex (US) and they contacted Motorex (Switzerland) who contacted KTM (Austria)...Wow. They have never seen a foaming problem with the 950 and suggested I look for moisture contamination.

Upon further study my test method may have been flawed. I would pull samples when the coolant reached operating temperature (90C) but the oil was ~40C or so. Yesterday I pulled a sample after riding the bike hard for 50 miles and there was very little entrapped air. The oil temperature of that sample was ~80C.

I will perform a UOA in another couple of hundred miles and check for water/glycol.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back