Kawasaki Ninja 250R 5500km Motul 5100 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this bike new and after dumping the factory fill at 1000km I have used exclusively Motul 5100 10w40 and K&N oil filter
OCI were always 6000kms.Before BITOG I was changing oil filter every OCI,now I don't.
Last oil change before UOA was without touching the filter,so from the total oil capacity of 1,7 liters,about 0,3 liters of old oil were left in which had about 4500 extra km's.
The bike is used from the begining of its life for everyday short trip commuting to work and back (5km's each) and has experienced too much city driving,but also long journeys now and then.
It does not consume any oil at all,its frequently hard driven,and the gearbox shifts quite smooth pretty much at the same manner before and immediately after an oil change.
The oil shearing effect was not noticeable in any way.
In fact the engine seems to like thin oils as it revs happier when its nice and hot.Its a small displacement and low torque engine anyway so you can tell the difference in that.

I forgot to mention that the air filter is k&n and that at 60.000km I had the valve clearance adjusted.

I think I will extend the oci to 7500kms from now on, removing and draining the oil filter which is quite big for this engine holding a significant amount of oil and change it every other oci. It is a cartridge type filter. Any comments will be appreciated.

I wouldn't stretch any, unless you intend to run a 20wt in that sump
31.gif

Last edited:
4.9 to be accurate. However,65000kms with 6000km ocis from new till today using the same type of oil (motul 5100 10w40, with the only exemption this 1000km experiment with the 7100 10w30) and not a single engine problem, zero oil consumption also.

Originally Posted By: Panos
4.9 to be accurate. However,65000kms with 6000km ocis from new till today using the same type of oil (motul 5100 10w40, with the only exemption this 1000km experiment with the 7100 10w30) and not a single engine problem, zero oil consumption also.

Which makes one wonder why we fuss over oil so much.

I bet my DL650 would run on pretty much any JASO oil and I'd sell it before having an oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: webfors

I bet my DL650 would run on pretty much any JASO oil and I'd sell it before having an oil related failure.

i bet it would run on any NON jaso oil and never fail.

i challenge you to show me ANY oil related failure. oil..not parts, but oil

What constitutes an oil related failure?
I would say that if your bike starts burning a lot of oil after a complete oil change (and has very few hours on it, ect), despite following the recommended oci by the manufacturer, then the oil type would be one legitimate, major factor for cause/investigation/critique.

Most motorcycle "oil related failures" are people blaming clutch slipping on the oil. In reality, the clutch slips because it's just worn out, or it has been abused by someone not knowing how to ride properly, like some squid doing lame clutch-dump wheelies and burnouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back