OCI For Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of changing from Rotella T 15 w50 to Amsoil 10w40.What is the OCI most are using for the Amsoil? BTW the bike is a 1996 Vulcan Classic. Thanks

Cry Havoc

Amsoil says twice the OEM recommended OCI. My Intercepter OEM OCI is 8000 miles, per Amsoils recommendation I can run it to 16,000 miles. I change it every 4-5K because that many miles seems pretty extreem to me. Plus I tend to ride it fairly hard.

I go by shift feel. If you have a shared sump, that works pretty well. As soon as I get clicking instead of buttery-smooth, I change it.

is it a 800 classic of a 1500 classic? when i had a 2002 vulcan 800B i could have easily double the recommended OCI. In my most recetn vulcan (vn2000) i have been currently going 3000-4000 oci. this vulcan uses 0.5 qts per 3000 miles. The amsoil 10w40 m/c oil made a big difference in shifting! even when the bikes were new.

chris http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye

I go between 6,000 and 10,000 on my Triumph ST, or once a year whichever comes first (unfortunately I only rode 3500 miles last year
frown.gif
)

quote:

Amsoil says twice the OEM recommended OCI

Is this an official company position? or a downline distributor talking?

Sure it's great oil and for a car that claim may be valid? but for a bike? any bike? any rider? any conditions?

SERVICE LIFE
For “on road” use in engines and transmissions, change AMSOIL MCF and AMSOIL engine oil filter at twice the motorcycle manufacturer change interval or one year, whichever comes first. Change other brand oil filters at standard intervals.

That's from their site. It seems like a broad statement to me as well.

I was changing oil & filter @ 3K, so going to the mfg. recommendation of 6K seemed an almost no stress "no-brainer"...

I did pick up a half dozen Gen-u-ine Kaw oil filters for about $4 each and that has softened the blow, somewhat.

Cheers!

'havoc, don't just go out and "double" your change interval -- do a UOA first and see how your current oil is doing, and then, if you still want to go to Amsoil's MCF 10W-40, do so.

I posted a motorcycle UOA on the MCF 10W-40 some time back -- 5,000 miles, and still in grade. That was in a Honda ST1300.

Would the MCF go 10,000 miles without shearing? You're welcome to try, especially with summer heat coming on. There is no way I would push a wet-clutch oil bath that far, though.

Amsoil's older "AMx" series bike oils are NOT the same as their newer "MCx" products. If you want the best, stick with the later stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back