Turbo Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
189,000 on the pair in my 335. Have had a few euro cars go way past 200k, never had a turbo failure. The only people I've seen have problems have modded them and blown them up.

162k on our volvo. bought around 150k on the clock with no previous records. Since the PVC system had been replaced, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it received semi-syn at best, and more likely regular dino oil. Turbo is quiet. Once the car comes off of fast idle, you can't hear it unless the radio is off and HVAC fan on low. It also loses no oil between changes, which seems crazy to me.

-m

255kmiles or so on my TDi before the shaft snapped--not sure what happened, but it up and quit. 10k OCI's on synthetic, as required by the manufacturer. Stock everything (wasn't afterward, on went a bigger turbo & tune).

Turbos in our 3 cars, all original, no issues.

2000 SAAB @143K has had Mobil 1 0w-40 for as long as I've been maintaining it (7 years), once a year.
2008 RDX @116K has seen M1, Castrol Edge EP, and PP 5W-30, changed based on MID, roughly every 8 months / 6k miles.

The 2010 hasn't hit 100K and won't for a while, but it typically gets M1 or Castrol 0w-40.

2005 Audi allroad twin turbo currently has 208k miles. 6 speed manual, so it's been driven harder than an automatic version. I believe that the PO had it serviced at the dealer, so intervals of 8-10k miles with Syntec 5W-40. I'm currently running Resolute Synthetic 5W-30 at 7.5k OCIs.

It's been tuned for most of its life by the PO and myself. I'm running 20psi max that tapers to 16psi all day long. The program from the PO is 18psi tapering to 14psi. I estimate just shy of 400 ft/lbs of torque, and I can feel it. Pulls like a freight train, and it's hard to shift quick enough at WOT in first through third gear. It's a blast and my kids absolutely love when I drive like a hooligan.

My 1996 Fiat has the original Garrett T3, 130k miles. I stopped using it as an everyday car 5 years ago, tuned it to run 20psi for weekends and track days. Handbook calls for Selenia 10w40, semi synthetic CCMC G5. I've used synthetic 10w60 or 5w50.

I think a lot of the failures were on turbos before they started water cooling them.

With a good synthetic oil and water cooling they should last as long as the car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back