Indoor HDTV Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
alarmguy - thanks for the info on the laws about outside antennas. I didn't know it existed.

Most welcome, I only found out about the FCC rules a few years ago, when it comes to HOAs it is more a matter of what battles you want to fight, for us, it was easy since we choose the attic for the antenna.

Those rules do make sense, no one can restrict your access to radio/video signals or signals of any kind.
Its why radar detectors are legal in automobiles, just because a police agency decides to use the public radio bandwith to catch speeders does not give them the right to deny you access to those signals.
Much the same with HOAs, just because they make rules does not mean its legal, in most cases an HOA can restrict just about anything you do with your property but they can not restrict your right to receive local radio and TV signals.

Last edited:
Update: I was reading on the "NoCable" website that they had a new 30 mile (without amplifier) HDTV indoor antenna being sold on Amazon for $20. They claimed on their website that they have tested many indoor HDTV antennas, and wanted to design one that was better than the rest. I decided to order one to try out. I can return the one I have currently for no return shipping if the new one is better.

https://www.amazon.com/NoCable-Detachable-Reversible-Performance-Materials/dp/B075B3KQQD

The NoCable brand antenna arrived today, so I did a comparison test - all the testing was done within less than a 1 hour window. It was a clear day, no rain. I recorded the signal level from all 14 received transponders with my 1st antenna. I then installed the new antenna in exactly the same location on the wall, and had the TV do a channel auto-scan.

The new antenna came up with a few additional channels, and some of the weaker channels with antenna #1 were coming in at good bit higher signal level. For instance, an example of a few channels with Ant 1 vs Ant 2:

Ch 5 was 5~6% with Ant 1, now 23~25% with Ant 2.
Ch 7 was 16~18% with Ant 1, now 23~25% with Ant 2.
Ch 22 was 13~15% with Ant 1, now 18~20% with Ant 2.
Ch 28 was 14~15% with Ant 1, now 21~23% with Ant 2.
Ch 56 was 5~6% with Ant 1, now 8~10% with Ant 2.

There were only 2 out of 14 received transponders that didn't have any increase in signal level, so this new antenna is definitely a better performer. According to the DTV channel reception maps, this antenna gets two transponders 35~36 miles out from me (so did un-amplified Ant 1, but at lower signal level). Ch 13, which comes in at 26~27% signal level, and Ch 20 which comes in at 35~35% signal level.

Guess the first antenna is getting sent back. I also like the new antenna because it mounts on the wall with supplied push-pins, and has a white side and black side, so I mounted with the white side showing. The coax cable is also much heavier than the cable on antenna #1 - maybe that helps contribute to the better performance. Highly recommend this indoor antenna if you live someplace where there are transponders 35 miles or less from you. NoCable also has an amplified version of this antenna and claim it's good for 50 miles.

That looks like a LAVA … mine was hitting a tower farm from 80 miles with a couple dozen crystal clear channels … wind storm tore it up and then put up a conventional directional antenna that’s almost as good …

Originally Posted by StevieC
My dad has the one shown in the picture above which is about a 90 degree capture angle. (Channel Master, Long Range). He also has one that looks like a ray gun that is quite directional with I would say about a 20 degree capture angle that he put on-top. (Don't have a picture of this unfortunately). It picks up further stuff but has to be moved with the controller in between transmitters to get whatever channel you are looking for. Looks something like this only his has a motor on it.

[Linked Image]

This is a very poor antenna due to the plastic on the antenna. The reveiws say the plastic does not hold over freeze/thaw cycles and harsh UV after a few years.

If you are relatively close to the transmitters and don't have aluminum siding, an attic antenna is a great option. You can connect it up to your existing coax and feed all your TVs, plus it's out of sight. I used a Winegard HD7694P and I'm very happy with the results. I pick up all the local channels with excellent signal strength.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I just ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9SGXFL

Trying to see what channels I can pick up as I get ready to cut the cord. Hoping it picks up at least a few channels. Getting an outdoor antenna isn't an option for now.

Well, it appears I need to rethink my strategy. This indoor antenna isn't picking up much.
I will have to research an outdoor antenna option.

Found another place in the house where this antenna works better, alas, it's far away from the TV. The antenna comes with an 18ft coax cable. Would it be a bad idea to extend it by another 40ft or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back