building a house directly under CVG's flight path

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already live really close to the path of incoming flights to CVG but my new house will be almost directly under the flight path...I could see my lot when we flew into CVG 2 weeks ago, which was pretty cool. I don't mind airplane noise, and could spend all afternoon sitting on the deck, watching the birds overhead.

http://greenshirecommons.com/

The only really big planes I see are Polar Cargo and Atlas Air 747s, wish we had some more big birds coming in to the "International Airport" that only has a few international destinations, mainly to the Caribbean.

My Mother had a friend who lived across the street from a big Airport.

The Airport paid her to mount a red light on the roof of her home.
Kind of funny if you think about it.

You're going to get a lot of exhaust soot landing on your house. If you have any outdoor window awnings, they're going to get a black carbon buildup on them. I've seen it happen.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

Did you mother have a lot of young men knocking on her door?

The Desert View Tower in east San Diego makes some revenue from having a tower located on their property.

A lot of airport authorities have invested in noise reduction plans for homes like insulation and other soundproofing techniques. The stuff they use in cars nowadays is just a thin blanket but really blocks sound.

Twenty years ago airport noise was a big issue. Modern jets have new technologies that help reduce noise. As you mentioned, it will be certain aircraft like 747 cargo or a 757 that will be really noticeable.

Congrats and good luck on your new home.

Actually I am in one of the flight circles near JBLM so it gets busy when pilots and crews need their hours. Last Tuesday I witnessed parachute training as I was headed south. Dropping the paratroopers back onto the runway. Impressive sight. Hearing one of the Globemasters circle around is impressive as well.

Is there much of a discount in property value, building under a flight path? I don't think I would like it, but our roosters went off at 5am this morning so its not exactly silent at my place either!

I live 100 miles south of Chicago's airports and out in the country. Before 9/11 they use to fly my way and split east and west so they both went off the sides of the house. Every 10 minutes back in the day during most of the daylight hours. Quite aggravating if you wanted the peace and quite of the country.

Since 9/11 they changed the flight paths and there is very little traffic now.

The west side of Cincinnati is very hilly, and there is very little buildable land on that side of town that hasn't already been developed unless you go all the way west to Harrison OH. Short version is, west side in general is less costly than east side, and wide swaths of the west and northwest parts of Hamilton County have lots of air traffic overhead, and have for decades.

To be really frank, the medical helicopters in and out of Mercy West Hospital are a lot louder and more intrusive than the commercial planes.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

Rrrrooooooxxxxxanne...

When ILN was really active, we would see a bunch of DC-8s, which I really liked.
Not sure how far off it is, but certainly no more than thirty miles as the crow, or Douglas, flies.
I personally like seeing airplanes of all sorts and liked it when our local GA airport was far more active years ago than it is these days.

Be thankful that CVG while growing fast is still somewhat less busy than say LAX or DFW or a number of airports with much higher traffic. Even SeaTac where we fly out of runs about 45 million passengers annually and over 400,000 aircraft movements too.

It does sound like CVG would be a nicer airport to be in. SeaTac is a hodge podge of add-ons and remodels. Their international terminal is just now starting to getting redone. The old 70’s false ceiling and horrible gate accommodations pale to many other airports I’ve been through.

Sadly, most US airports are pretty much in the same boat. Having been to several newer airports overseas, it’s amazing how far behind we are in this respect.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I already live really close to the path of incoming flights to CVG but my new house will be almost directly under the flight path...I could see my lot when we flew into CVG 2 weeks ago, which was pretty cool. I don't mind airplane noise, and could spend all afternoon sitting on the deck, watching the birds overhead.

http://greenshirecommons.com/

The only really big planes I see are Polar Cargo and Atlas Air 747s, wish we had some more big birds coming in to the "International Airport" that only has a few international destinations, mainly to the Caribbean.

Should be ok, I have relatives that live in in that area. The planes don't seem that loud since they're landing and not taking off in that direction. The full throttle take offs can be annoying. But watching the birds land two abreast is fun.
smile.gif

From where are you getting the idea that CVG is growing rapidly?
Traffic is nowhere close to what it was in its glory days as a Delta hub, although most of that large volume of flights and passengers was only connecting traffic.
CVG operations have been downsized significantly to meet the travel needs of its catchment area, which is neither very prosperous nor very large in population.
CVG isn't and never was an LAX, ATL, JFK, LGA, DFW, CLT nor even an FLL or MCO.
The joke was that the locals were saying "We is a hub!" while paying the highest O&D airfares in the country, contrary to what one finds at every real hub airport.

CVG is operating WAY below capacity, but is is nice to see Southwest and next summer, WOW and Sun Country having a presence.

We were on an Apple Vacations/Allegiant charter last summer from Punta Cana and were the ONLY flight coming through the cavernous International Terminal at CVG...it was kind of eerie.

I cross-shop DAY and IND along with CVG and CVG is always price-competitive with those other airports. CVG is about a 20 minute drive from my house, using the Anderson Ferry. I get more motion sickness on the short ferry ride than I do on a 2 hour flight for some reason...

ww.andersonferry.com

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
The only really big planes I see are Polar Cargo and Atlas Air 747s

I would think you'd see some Kalitta Air 747s as well there

For the longest time I only associated the Kalitta name with NHRA. I saw one of their planes and realized how they paid for all the drag racing stuff. Two pretty awesome businesses in one family.

I don't live anywhere near a commercial airport, but I must be in the flight path of those very quiet black helicopters.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back