Car front left axle shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you should take one internet diagnosis as gospel. If the wheel bearing is shot the brake rotor will shake with the rim but the caliper bracket and knuckle WON'T, and the pads will bounce around not really knowing what to do.

If your bearing is tight but you have bad control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends etc the steering knuckle will shake with the wheel and brakes.

But you've got something going on!

That’s why I think it is the wheel bearing. It doesn’t shake much with normal driving but once I hit the brakes, the wheel and rotor will wobble within the pads. Does that makes sense? I posted elsewhere and they said tie rods but it’s definitly not that. When I use my hands to shake the wheel(instead of using my feet) you can definitely see the wobble from the wheel/hub assembly only.

Alright this may sound weird guys. I replace my wheel bearing today. The major problem has been fixed, the wheel no longer wobbles when breaking from high speeds. That was my main concern. My other concern is that it still gives a slight wobble when normal driving at high speeds. I’m guessing BOTH the wheel bearing and the front control arm where shot. So time to do the control arm and see how that works. When I did the bearing today, with the wheel off, I can definitely see some play coming from that front control arm. I should do both sides correct?

You should get an alignment after doing control arms, so if you do them both, you're only paying for one alignment. But if you get cheap parts you might be replacing good with bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back