Vertical filters putting sludge right under bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
full-68598-14239-img_4827.jpg

With most filters seemingly having the bypass at the end of the filter media, could it theoretically intake sludge that collects in the base of a vertically or relatively vertically mounted filter?

I realize clean engines probably don't collect an appreciable amount of sludge, but filters like this one posted recently show what is possible.

Cheers

It was still there when you took the filter off so obviously it's not an issue.
smile.gif

Next oil change, race the engine when cold, turn it off and drain the oil. It'll still collect there.

Last edited:
Yeah, that anecdote is one the uglier ones I've seen posted here. That said, best information including the pinned Jim Allen thread at the top, say bypass events are rare and when they do occur of short duration.

Some say thread end bypass in vertical dome end up filters not the best. And vice versa, dome end bypass in vertical dome end down, same. Outside of Ford many OEM have the latter design, Honda and many GM models come to mind off top of my head.

'IMO', not a huge deal either way especially in light of noted knowledge of bypass events.

Yes, this is a recent cut and post from a Hyundai engine.

Interestingly enough, a motorcraft filter is the only filter I have cut open to find no bypass valve on the bottom.

I once thought Napa Gold (a fine fine filter by all accounts) had a thread side bypass setup, but the last one I bothered to cut open had the valve on the bottom?

Has BITOG created a list of which filters have what bypass? Thanks!

In theory, it could.
In practical application, I doubt little, if any, ever makes the trip as you inquire.

The BP valve RARELY opens in the first place, and when it does, it's for a very short duration (anywhere from a fraction of a second to only a few seconds under obscene conditions). (See Jim Allens test results).

Regardless of where you put the bypass, there will be some accumulation of junk in the quiescent area that will be mobilised when it opens.

Filter bypass in block even has dead headed areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back