Valvoline V0-106 M1 6000 miles. Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was used for 6000 miles on a 2005 V6 Accord. Aside from the ADBV, not a bad filter. Media held up really well.

Last edited:
Looks good, thanks for c&p
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Purolator?

Doesn't seem to have any Purolator traits like the bypass valve, which actually looks like the ones used by Fram.

I found a post from 2008 stating that Champion made them. Not sure about today.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Doesn't seem to have any Purolator traits like the bypass valve, which actually looks like the ones used by Fram.

Yep. That definitely looks like a fram valve.

Whether from the time Champ part of FF (fram filtration) or now, this a Champ Labs made filter with blue button dome bypass. Same as old Super Tech line. In this area if you go into AZ, excluding can color the STP S6607 looks exactly the same. AZs here still selling the old FF line for standard blue STP. 'Pretty sure' from pics of element, being a quick lube filter and no 7317 equivalent in STP line, this is the shorty 6607 filter. 'If' so just normal downsize for QL's.

Looks decent and like it held up fine at 6k miles. It's a nitrile adbv on a jobber filter, so hard to get expectations too high on that imo.

Thanks for c&p.

Whew! This is a relief. Went to a local tire place for an oil change that uses Valvoline oil and filter. Not bad for $21 after tax for oil change and cross rotation of tires.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Not what I was expecting to see comparing it to one I cut open from my quick lube.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4053746/New_Valvoline_filter_cut_open

Like topic, still Champs Labs made. It just happens that in the linked VO-16 application the filter design is an ecore, not classic construction like topic. In Champ made jobber tier filter line, this is what you will find. Some ecore, a few classic construction.

I have used a half dozen of Champ Labs PH820 and maybe 2-3 AC Delco PF1250 for 3-6K intervals and the elements have been flawless. Pleat spacing is good, the pleats are not deformed or collapsing. The fiber end caps were nicely glued. Since the combo valve is made of nitrile, the ADBV loses functionality over time. I have not posted because most BITOG members are not interested in eCores.

^^^In my observation of anecdotes, ecores have improved over time. Pleat spacing has improved, tighter and more uniform. Also more trusses have been added to the cage, smaller openings. That addressed some of the media blow issues. The one feature I'm still not enamored with is the combo valve. That said, for 3-5k mile ocis, likely ok. On older GM applications that not an issue because of block bypass. And on newer GM applications, ACDelco ecores use a traditional poppet bypass.

I am not happy with the combo valve either. IMO the filter would be better with a silicone ADBV and separate dome end bypass valve. I suspect there is a correlation between oil viscosity and the onset of a leaky ADBV. Ford Cologne V6 engines seem to shear oil down quickly. I have not yet backed up this observation with UOAs.
smile.gif

Yep silicone adbv and separate dome bypass would be preferable. However, when you start adding those features the cost factor for that tier filter changes for the bean counters. Most all ACDelco, classic and ecore use nitrile adbv.

As for UOA, I see them mentioned often here as confirmation with filters. BlackStone has said and it's been posted here that at least as far as insolubles they don't any significant differences in any filters used. Perhaps if you put faith in their particle count service, that might be different.

As for your Cologne V6, if you've still got the original time chain and tensioners, you're doing good. Think it would be tougher than some on oil, and shearing.

Actually I was thinking there is a change in oil viscosity occurring about 2000 miles after the oil is changed. I am thinking this is a factor in observed startup rattle. By 2004 most of the timing chain failure issues on Cologne V6 engines were resolved. The total length of chain just beats on the oil. I am planning to try some synthetic oil since it should retain viscosity longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back