The richest woman on earth drives a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Exactly. One extremely wealthy friend of the family used to drive around in a Buick Roadmaster wagon, in fact she had quite a few of them that were purchased for her use with her primary argument being in favour of their utility for transporting the dogs and items to the cottage. While her kids would tend to drive things that were more fancy (her son drove a 911), she appeared to have no interest in luxury or sport cars from what I could tell.

Yes, some people aren't car people, no matter how much money they have. Then, we have Jay Leno.
wink.gif

After watching many, many episodes of Jay Leno's Garage, I have concluded that he had that day job at NBC all those years just so he could support his car addiction!

He has openly said that.

I had had money unlimited I still would drive a Ford Vehicle. Maybe a new Lincoln. I likes em.

Rich or poor, different people have different priorities. Some rich people spend their money, while other rich people live like paupers. Some people are mortgaged to the hilt to live a lifestyle well beyond their means.

This thread and the one about being refused a test-drive at a Chevy dealer, reminds me of this saying: Never judge a book by it's cover.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
My folks lived just north of Bentonville for several years and Sam Walton was known to drive into town for a haircut in a truck that was much more vintage than that F-150. I'd assume the apple or applet wouldn't fall far from the tree.

Apparently, Alice Walton just became the richest woman in the world the other day when the L'Oreal heiress died.

Sam's explaination was that he wasn't an eccentric millionaire---he simply did not think it sensible to transport his birddogs in some fancy pants kind of car. And let's face it: The Waltons aren't ones to drive the world's foremost dog transportation device--a Subaru are they?

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
And let's face it: The Waltons aren't ones to drive the world's foremost dog transportation device--a Subaru are they?

In that context, they should be driving a Great Wall brand vehicle. Or maybe a Volvo. Or a Buick.

The richest woman on earth is the Queen Elisabeth II.

All those wealth ranking don't count people who have money from monarchy, politics, military dictatorship, drugs money, etc. So you pretty much eliminated the top 60% of the wealthy people.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The richest woman on earth is the Queen Elisabeth II.

All those wealth ranking don't count people who have money from monarchy, politics, military dictatorship, drugs money, etc. So you pretty much eliminated the top 60% of the wealthy people.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Warren Buffet, at the time I read the article used to drive an older Caddy sedan and go to Mcdonalds for breakfast.
He got a new Caddy about three years ago. The Omaha World Herald never misses reporting anything Warren does.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
When we had our second child about 3 years ago the doctor lady that discharged my wife happened to walk out of the hospital at the same time I was taking the belongings to our car, she hopped on an older faded red color Toyota paseo, turned the beast on and the belt started whistling, I was very surprised.

And drove to her mansion in a very wealthy neighborhood....

You would be surprised, most new doctors are saddled with large student loan debt and while they make above average wages, their discretionary income after paying bills is pretty low for the first few years.

My current doctor drives a early 2000's Cavalier because she cannot afford better and my previous doctor drove a older S10 pickup for the same reason.

"Class: A Guide Through The American Status System" by the late Paul Fussell is still a good read despite being over 30 years old. Fussell felt that any sign of interest in cars was very hard to find in old money families.
He is probably better known as the author of "Thank God For The Atom Bomb", written from the perspective of an intellectual who was also preparing to ship out for the invasion of Japan when Little Boy and Fat Man were dropped.

^^^ that is an /excellent/ book. ^^^ it is the best I've read on defining class FIRST as a way of thinking. Money is secondary - you don't have to be wealthy to have class, but you'll find that money often follows those characteristics. I read it 20 years ago. Examples:

low class: inexpensive new cars, always under warranty. can't afford repairs but they accept debt, so they buy new and buy new again when they can't repair it.
middle class: camry, accord
upper class: cheaper cars and notably old cars that they like. if they like the car, they can pay for the repairs to keep it going.

TV:
low class: what they can afford, in the absolute focal spot of the room. it's the center of the main living area.
middle class: BIG TV, in the absolute focal spot of the room. it's the center of the main living area.
upper class: IF there is a TV, it is smaller, off in a corner and not the focal point. Chairs, couches facing each other make people the focal point of the room.

Drive to work:
lower classes - I don't recall.
middle class: tend to drive fast and aggressive, fighting their way through traffic
upper class: plan ahead, leave sooner, drive slower, and don't stress because they left more time and planned ahead.

In the late 90s, IIRC, another book I came across stated that the most popular vehicle driven by people worth over $1M was a 2 door, 2WD, lower-trim F150, older.

Class is a mindset.

-m

it was a very interesting read, and made me question how and why I do things, what my goals are. good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back