Compilation of TPMS relearning by manufacturer

http://jameshalderman.com/images/domestic_tpms_relearns_1-4.pdf

My last service, Holden rotated the tyres, but didn't relearn the TPMS.

Alas, the Colorado doesn't learn by deflatingtyres in sequence...I could get to the relearn screen, just not deliver the education.

MODERATOR NOTE: the link in this post is apparently dead as of Nov 1 ... it is left here in case it reactivates.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best is still MOPAR. Cannot be fooled, put the tires wherever you want and the computer will figure them out as soon as they turn a few rotations. I've had tire shops actually try to charge me for the relearn procedure!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The best is still MOPAR. Cannot be fooled, put the tires wherever you want and the computer will figure them out as soon as they turn a few rotations. I've had tire shops actually try to charge me for the relearn procedure!

But they still use sensors in the wheel to communicate. Somebody’s making money on it.

My last two cars were passive systems using the existing ABS system. No sensors for the ape in the tire shop to snap. Resetting is pushing a button or navigating a menu...total of about 2 calories expended.

Originally Posted By: LotI

But they still use sensors in the wheel to communicate. Somebody’s making money on it.

My last two cars were passive systems using the existing ABS system. No sensors for the ape in the tire shop to snap. Resetting is pushing a button or navigating a menu...total of about 2 calories expended.

Bought one of mine in August of 05. Never needed a battery yet, just put seals in at a tire change as PM. Hardly a bother!

And individual tire pressure displays, along with vastly increased accuracy. I'll burn an extra calorie or so...

Agreed, definitely the easiest system to work with, and the individual pressure displays in the cluster are fantastic.

Originally Posted By: LotI

The cars in my signature use the ABS wheel speed sensors.

I agree.Made my life easy when i had to rotate tires or do wheel swaps on new vehicles.Take for a quick ride and all were in sync.

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
I agree.Made my life easy when i had to rotate tires or do wheel swaps on new vehicles.Take for a quick ride and all were in sync.
My Hyundais are like this too. Usually within a mile they will reset after a tire swap.

Weird. Never had an issue on the F150; but then again it does not have specific tire indications, only a warning.

Which I prefer.

I was surprised after seeing ordinary cheap Chevy 2012 and 2013 products displaying individual pressures to not see it in high end Toyota vehicles. I'd like to see a table of TPMS features by vehicle model and year. Does that exist?

VW & Audi that uses direct sensors: drive the car for about 10 miles and you're good.

ABS-based with button: press and hold button until you hear a beep.
ABS-based with MFA reset: follow the MFA instructions.

My 2012 Mazda spells out the procedure in the owner's manual. IIRC, if you have to change a sensor, you turn on the car, and then turn it off for 15 minutes. Then go for a drive and it learns the new sensors.

When changing tires yourself
If you or someone else changes tires, you
or someone else can also undertake the
steps for the TPMS to complete the ID
signal code registration.
1. After tires have been changed, switch
the ignition ON, then back to ACC or
OFF.
2. Wait for about 15 minutes.
3. After about 15 minutes, drive the
vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h
(16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire
pressure sensor ID signal code will be
registered automatically.

Last edited:
Tried the deflate method to try to get the TPMS to reset per one or more of the GM tests.

Didn't work, so instead had the cross front rear rotation pressure numbers, and two tyres showing low pressure alarms even 'though I'd pumped them back up.

$40 delivered got a reset tool off ebay...

Oh goody. Can somebody school me on TPMS in the 16 Camry. I want to buy a set of winter wheels for them. TIA
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Tried the deflate method to try to get the TPMS to reset per one or more of the GM tests.

Didn't work, so instead had the cross front rear rotation pressure numbers, and two tyres showing low pressure alarms even 'though I'd pumped them back up.

$40 delivered got a reset tool off ebay...

The GM "deflate" procedure was pretty much eliminated starting with the 2012 model year. For 2012+ you typically need the relearn tool. I purchased one here in the USA for $16 delivered. It turns out the dealer wasn't relearning the TPMS after rotations, and the individual readings in the display were incorrect. The relearn tool worked like a charm, and now I don't have to worry about whether or not the dealer does it when they rotate the tires.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Oh goody. Can somebody school me on TPMS in the 16 Camry. I want to buy a set of winter wheels for them. TIA
grin.gif

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8413/~/how-does-the-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-work-in-my-2015-camry%3F

The 2015 and 2016 should work the same, I would think.

I have only ever had Dodge's with this system. Dodge Caravan and Dodge Journey I guess I never thought about tire rotation affecting where it shows on the display. I'm also happy that my vehicle is smart enough to figure it out on its own.
wink.gif

After 20 hours of flight … I can grab my iPad/phone & check each tire pressure on vehicles back home.
Think speed sensors alone must have rotation to determine a speed change related to air pressure …

Back