Toyota 1.8L is apparently a 300K mile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
At 300K+ miles metal fatigue might be the cause of some engine failures.
Even the fanciest oil won't prevent that.

That would actually be massively pathetic. Toyota-braggards (paid or voluntary) think these little water-cooler testimonials are extolling the product, but I absolutely would not want any engine that spontaneously and catastrophically loses it's fundamental friction materials in the absence of overheating, over-revving, oiling system failure or other obvious abuse.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Next time you get a Corolla -

lol.gif
"Next time you get a corolla" he says... because that's just a given and of course it's the oils fault for not letting the great toyota run for 3 trillion miles. lmao

These posts always crack me up. You act like it's no big deal for vehicle (insert name here) to go X amount of miles, and yet you site no reference to anything you had that lasted this long or longer. 300K is a big deal, and it doesn't matter what type of vehicle it's achieved with, it simply isn't something you see every day...

Naah, not really. 300,000 isn't anything spectacular...I have driven many with that or more. I drove a car with 580,000 miles (it went 640K), saw several vans over 400,000, and dozens of cars and vans with 250,000+. I saw several with relatively low miles, but 10,000+ engine hours due to 100% city use. I saw 553,000 on an F-550 that sees the brutal duty of a repo truck!

You're missing the point...my point isn't that the Corolla will last more miles than anything elae, my point is it's not every day you see vehicles with this many miles...I've seen vehicles with 4, 5, and 600K miles too, but maybe like one or two of each, it isn't like it's common place to see them every day. Heck, every time I take my Corolla to Discount Tire for a set of tires, someone there will ask me if those are the actual miles on my car. Apparently, even they don't see that many high mileage vehicles either, and think of how many vehicles they see...and you DROVE vehicles with that many miles or more, I've owned them, also not the same thing...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Tell me, just how do you get an oversized filter on a Corolla 1.8L? They don't use a can. And better oil won't stop you from dropping a valve.

Not quite following you here. The Corolla has a screw-on filter. You simply get a larger (longer) filter and screw it on...

I was assuming "next time you get a Corolla" it will use one of these, as 10th and 11th gens do:

2iifkt0.jpg

You're missing the point...my point isn't that the Corolla will last more miles than anything elae, my point is it's not every day you see vehicles with this many miles...I've seen vehicles with 4, 5, and 600K miles too, but maybe like one or two of each, it isn't like it's common place to see them every day. Heck, every time I take my Corolla to Discount Tire for a set of tires, someone there will ask me if those are the actual miles on my car. Apparently, even they don't see that many high mileage vehicles either, and think of how many vehicles they see...and you DROVE vehicles with that many miles or more, I've owned them, also not the same thing...

No, YOU'RE missing the point: it is nothing unusual for me to see 300,000+ mile cars. Just about any livery or taxi company will run their cars longer than that! A wrecker can wind up 300K in 6 years. Highest mileage I owned was 366,000 on my first F-350.

No, YOU'RE missing the point: it is nothing unusual for me to see 300,000+ mile cars. Just about any livery or taxi company will run their cars longer than that! A wrecker can wind up 300K in 6 years. Highest mileage I owned was 366,000 on my first F-350.

Maybe for YOU it's common place to see vehicles with this many miles, but it's still not common. What percentage of all vehicles made do you think see 300K or more? 5% maybe? I doubt it's even that high...

300K on a few-year-old Heavy Duty service vehicle is one thing. 300K on a 10, 12 or 15 year old economy car is quite another. Compare original purchase cost and divide by mile of service, if you need a hint. Now do that again for each year of service. You can make money with a service vehicle, but you'll never beat the cost per year, per mile, or any other metric, of a 300K economy car.

300K on a few-year-old Heavy Duty service vehicle is one thing. 300K on a 10, 12 or 15 year old economy car is quite another. Compare original purchase cost and divide by mile of service, if you need a hint. Now do that again for each year of service. You can make money with a service vehicle, but you'll never beat the cost per year, per mile, or any other metric, of a 300K economy car.

Agree...the Corolla is about as cheap a car as you can get. By these mileage numbers, a 50K Audi ought to be doing a million miles on a regular basis....and yet...they don't.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
At 300K+ miles metal fatigue might be the cause of some engine failures.
Even the fanciest oil won't prevent that.

That would actually be massively pathetic. Toyota-braggards (paid or voluntary) think these little water-cooler testimonials are extolling the product, but I absolutely would not want any engine that spontaneously and catastrophically loses it's fundamental friction materials in the absence of overheating, over-revving, oiling system failure or other obvious abuse.

Next time you get a Corolla -

lol.gif
"Next time you get a corolla" he says... because that's just a given and of course it's the oils fault for not letting the great toyota run for 3 trillion miles. lmao

These posts always crack me up. You act like it's no big deal for vehicle (insert name here) to go X amount of miles, and yet you site no reference to anything you had that lasted this long or longer. 300K is a big deal, and it doesn't matter what type of vehicle it's achieved with, it simply isn't something you see every day...

Naah, not really. 300,000 isn't anything spectacular...I have driven many with that or more. I drove a car with 580,000 miles (it went 640K), saw several vans over 400,000, and dozens of cars and vans with 250,000+. I saw several with relatively low miles, but 10,000+ engine hours due to 100% city use. I saw 553,000 on an F-550 that sees the brutal duty of a repo truck!

You drove a "car" and saw a "van." Great info.
crazy.gif

Unless you owned and/or maintained the vehicle, your info is meaningless.

I dont see many cars with 150k miles up here..people dont seem to keep them that long..so Id say 300k miles is a definite milestone. Wheel bearings are common replacement on these. Ive replaced my front bearings once this far along. I have been in 2 cabs with 350k kms and 450k kms but lets say they were in very rough shape...in need of being scrapped

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Agree...the Corolla is about as cheap a car as you can get. By these mileage numbers, a 50K Audi ought to be doing a million miles on a regular basis....and yet...they don't.

I'm assuming when you say the Corolla is cheap, I'm assuming you mean cheaply built, which is laughable...the Corolla is easily one of the best built cars in it's segment...

Have you ever serviced the transmission? Ever changed fluid partially or fully??? Or do we actually have a successful case of lifetime fluid example?

I'm not the OP, but my 1.8L 10th Gen Corolla has a pan, drain plug, replaceable filter, and dipstick, making service easy.

Next time you get a Corolla - just use Pennzoil 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 at 10k-12k mile intervals with an oversized filter (wix 51516/51764). Roughly same price for the distance. But less time changing the oil, better protection (almost 50% better than conventional mineral oil according to AAA study) and I can almost guarantee you will at least touch 350k-400k this time, if not more.

Tell me, just how do you get an oversized filter on a Corolla 1.8L? They don't use a can. And better oil won't stop you from dropping a valve.

No but regular suggested changes of your Serpentine Belt will likely fix that problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
No but regular suggested changes of your Serpentine Belt will likely fix that problem.

I'm not following that conversation, how it got from ATF to S-Belts.

I did, however, just change my Corolla S-Belt last weekend. Actually my kid did most of the work. 168K and I decided it was time for its first regularly scheduled S-Belt change. I know, I'm a typical BITOG over-maintainer!

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

You drove a "car" and saw a "van." Great info.
crazy.gif

Unless you owned and/or maintained the vehicle, your info is meaningless.

Drove several dozen cars (mostly Panthers) and multiple vans (Astros, Caravans, GM, Ford, and Dodge fullsizes) over 300,000 miles. This was nothing unusual for the company.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I'm not following that conversation, how it got from ATF to S-Belts.

I did, however, just change my Corolla S-Belt last weekend. Actually my kid did most of the work. 168K and I decided it was time for its first regularly scheduled S-Belt change. I know, I'm a typical BITOG over-maintainer!

Because his engine swallowed a valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back