Can I run dex6 in my th400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: joegreen
would this ring gear work even though its from a 67? http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-rear-ring-gear-th400-transmission-oldsmobile-/172227839411?hash=item28199445b3:g:zSQAAOSw9eVXUFKr&vxp=mtr

Yes, It will work IF your carrier pinions are Helical Cut, If you have Straight Cut pinions it will not fit. What is wrong with your ring gear?
The ring gear is fine but where the ring gear goes into the output shaft bushing the surface is all scored where the bushing would ride. so i figured i needed another ring gear with a good bushing bearing surface. did you see my other post above this one you quoted?

Last edited:
Another question. The mainshaft looks like it has a cup plug in the end but according to the book it says only 69 and earlier models have the cup plug. Does this look like a cup plug?

Also the book says to remove the cup plug for added oil flow to the gearset. Considering this book is fairly old is it still a good idea to remove the cup plug if i indeed have one?

The book also says to check the sun gear shaft in the reaction carrier bushing. Is that a mistake? I circled what i think is the reaction carrier bushing and the sun gear shaft is multitudes smaller than the reaction carrier bushing. I thought the sun gear shaft went in the center support bushing?

Yes, That is Orificed Cup Plug....Remove it! I'm highly surprised to see that in your trans. TH400's were not installed in trucks in great volume 'til 1969....That's when geartrians started melting down from lube starvation. Good attention to detail Joe!

I think he meant to say Center Support Bushing.....
Insert the Sun Gear Shaft into the Center Support, Check for wobble.
Insert the Main Shaft into the Sun Gear Shaft, Check for wobble.
Place the Center Support over the Reaction Carrier without the Lo Roller Clutch & check the bushing.
Place the Rear Internal Gear on the Output Shaft & check that bushing as well.

I replace ALL the bushings no matter what, But I understand not have all the correct Dies makes it pretty tough.

do you think that someone put an older mainshaft in my transmission? The trans code says its from 77 or 78 so i figured they would have removed those plugs by then.

Last edited:
No sir, I completely missed it!!

Not all drums have the spring loaded Bleeds, Only seen them a few times & that was on very early units. Some units have the Bleeds in the piston & nothing in the Drum.

With the loctite cured, It may be tough to knock it lower without "Belling" the top of the bushing, Applying a little heat from a MAPP will reactivate the loctite & make it way easier. Putting it in a Oven will also work.

The Output Shaft to Rear Internal Ring Gear bushing is unidirectional, Don't worry about that now that the bushing will see a 50% increase in lube flow from removing the Orifice.

You are correct, The Rear Internal Gear will need to be replaced. I asked because if the drive teeth are damaged....The Carriers & Sun Gear are also.
'96 & up 4L80E internal gear's fit TH400's, Has 4 deep flutes in the Main Shaft Spline area. Up's Carrier lube flow by at least 20% depending on converter charge pressure & Cooler flow. If yours was good I wouldn't mention it as it's not a critical modification.
If you buy a 4L80E Internal Gear & Bearings & it has a .041" shim...DO NOT use the shim in your TH400!! The shim was added in Mid-MY '99 for reasons that are not pertinent to your application.

The Internal Gear on E-bay has the early style bearings, Do Not use those in HD applications, The later TH400/4L80E bearings have twice as many rollers.

You can use the Cast Iron Accumulator Rings in a "clean" unit, The Aluminum Rings will embed what ever wear metals are present. The Cast Iron Ring will just gouge them against the cast aluminum case bore. Run a good magnet in the pan to keep at least the ferrous metals out of the 2nd Accumulator

Im thinking because my reaction carrier has some grooving in it from the reverse band maybe i should get this and then i will have a good reaction carrier and rear ring gear. http://www.ebay.com/itm/34584EA-4L80E-REAR-PLANET-PLANETARY-4-GEAR-ANGLED-TEETH-PINION-GEARS-GMC-/282228980995?epid=660072138&hash=item41b6287d03:g:6csAAOSwXshWsSSa&vxp=mtr

If i get this will i also have to get a reverse band for the 4l80e or can i use reverse band for the th400?

I tried searching for a th400 or a 4l80 reaction carrier and could only find a couple in the $100 dollar range. It seems like the above link is a good deal to get all that for $80 with free shipping. If you think my reaction carrier is fine to use with the grooving i can get just this rear ring gear and mainshaft instead for $25 and it had the 4 flutes in it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-4L85E-Rear-Planet-Planetary-Ring-Gear-/292198445051?hash=item4408626ffb:g:VI4AAOSwPCVX23WY&vxp=mtr

Actually if i type in forward planet into ebay i can find a bunch of reaction carriers for 25 to 50 bucks. So i think i will just buy that rear ring gear instead of that whole $80 setup.

I cleaned up my reaction carrier surface where the rear band rides. It came out pretty good. I got 90% of the grooves out of it which i think is plenty good. I know the machinist i took it to said it was fine to run as is but it still bothered me. In the picture it looks a little concave in the middle but when i stick my machinist straight edge across the surface its flat.

Last edited:
You can use the Rear Internal Gear & the Reaction Carrier out of that 4L80E set IF you use the CORRECT Lo Roller Clutch for a 4L80E!! You CANNOT use the Output Carrier, Main Shaft, Or Sun Gear Shaft.

You can use a Grooved TH400 Band on both style Reaction Carriers, Smooth lined Bands should ONLY be used on '97 & up 4L80E Reaction Carriers, The rough finish on TH400 & Early 4L80E Carriers will tear up the lining on a smooth band.

With the smooth finish you have.....Either band will work, I'm concerned that the case hardening got machined off....And the fact that early reaction carriers were pretty soft to begin with.

Check the Band clearance carefully when using machined carriers.....More info HERE

You can use the Rear Internal Gear & the Reaction Carrier out of that 4L80E set IF you use the CORRECT Lo Roller Clutch for a 4L80E!! You CANNOT use the Output Carrier, Main Shaft, Or Sun Gear Shaft.

You can use a Grooved TH400 Band on both style Reaction Carriers, Smooth lined Bands should ONLY be used on '97 & up 4L80E Reaction Carriers, The rough finish on TH400 & Early 4L80E Carriers will tear up the lining on a smooth band.

With the smooth finish you have.....Either band will work, I'm concerned that the case hardening got machined off....And the fact that early reaction carriers were pretty soft to begin with.

Check the Band clearance carefully when using machined carriers.....More info HERE

Good point on the case hardening, I hadn't thought of removing the case hardening. I am buying a rear gear for $15 that has the four flutes where the main shaft goes.

I am looking for a used 4l80e reaction carrier and i see some listed as Late Design .785" Tall Gears. What does that mean and does that help designate what year its from? Will it fit my transmission? looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-Front-Planet-1998-Up-4-Pinion-Late-Design-785-Tall-Gears-Batwing-Washers-/112176283394?hash=item1a1e3a3f02:g:kpsAAOSwHsRYCtdG&vxp=mtr How can i tell the smooth band surface from the rough band surface?

Last edited:
I am looking for a used 4l80e reaction carrier and i see some listed as Late Design .785" Tall Gears. What does that mean and does that help designate what year its from? Will it fit my transmission? looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-Front-Planet-1998-Up-4-Pinion-Late-Design-785-Tall-Gears-Batwing-Washers-/112176283394?hash=item1a1e3a3f02:g:kpsAAOSwHsRYCtdG&vxp=mtr How can i tell the smooth band surface from the rough band surface?

Mid-1999 & up 4L80E's have .075" taller pinions in both rear Carriers because the Sun Gear was shimmed UP .041", The taller pinions "Re-Centered" the pinion to sun gear contact.

I have used the '99 & up reaction carriers in TH400's with no ill effect, Though it wouldn't have surprised me if there was a little gear whine in 1st gear due to the reaction pinions running over the edge of the sun gear.....But that has not been the case so far. As always WATCH your end-play when changing ANY components!!

This is a pic of a 1997 4L80E Reaction Carrier Band Surface. I can get a pic of a TH400 Carrier tomorrow if needed?

tQBvmJN.jpg

Is there any way to tell what year the reaction carrier came from just by looking at pictures. I read that the late models maybe 97 and up had a better case hardening for thr rear band than the th400 or earlier 4l80e carrier. If i am going to buy a reaction carrier i would like it to be an upgrade to what i currently have. Also what is your opinion on the reverse band. What band style should i go with for maximum longevity of the band and carrier surface?

Is there any way to tell what year the reaction carrier came from just by looking at pictures. I read that the late models maybe 97 and up had a better case hardening for thr rear band than the th400 or earlier 4l80e carrier. If i am going to buy a reaction carrier i would like it to be an upgrade to what i currently have. Also what is your opinion on the reverse band. What band style should i go with for maximum longevity of the band and carrier surface?

You can't tell by pictures, So many places use "stock" photos anyway.

The '97 & up do have the hardest surface, But the early 4L80E is harder than the TH400 piece. I had them tested years back by a buddy that works at Lockheed Martin, I forget where my notes on that are.

I would use a '97/'98 carrier & a Grooved TH400 Band, This tends to be the most durable combination.

I bought a 4l80e reaction carrier. Im not sure what year but it is supposed to be a 97 or later. I also bought the rear planetary ring gear with the 4 flutes in it. I also bought another reverse servo cover so i can use it to make a tool to measure the reverse pin apply length i need. Im waiting for all that to arrive in the mail.

Well the above post shows when I ordered the items and guess what, They have not arrived yet. I have tried contacting the seller via ebay, paypal, email, and calling and i have gotten zero responses. I am disputing the charges with paypal. If he does not respond back within 10 days they will refund me my money. Its allready been a few days and he has not responded to paypal yet. So now i need to reorder those items though a different seller. UGH

So paypal gave me my money back and i ordered this planetary set off of ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1994-1995-1996-Chevrolet-4L80E-Overdrive-Planetary-Ring-Gear/121319545753?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649. It says is for a 93-96 4l80e but i think they sent me the planetary set from a 97+ 4l80e. I am going to post up some pictures maybe today or maybe not because i am sick. The reason i think its a 97+ gear set is because the ring gear has the 4 deep lube slots and the sun gear also has 4 deep lube slots with a small hole for the planet gear lube instead of the large hole. If it is a 97+ gear set then $75 with free shipping is a good deal.

Anything in particular i should be looking at to determine if its a 97+ gear set?

From your description.....You got '97 & up center lube parts.

Quick & easy way to tell. TH400 & early 4L80E's have a hollow/gun drilled Main Shaft. Center Lube 4L80E's have a solid Main Shaft.

ONLY use the ring gear & reaction carrier out of this set.....And the bearings if included, If it has a .041" shim under the Sun Gear bearing, DO NOT use the shim!

I still have to measure the gear height to see if its the longer gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back