2006 Civic Tow Package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope people recommending a truck for this don't meant these wimpy half tons. This is a job for a dually. lol.

I would not hesitate using a compact sedan for this kind of job. I grew up in Europe though and saw what regular cars tow over there with no problems. In NA though, you have to us a pickup, otherwise it's not proper or safe.

I think you are more likely to have problems with a trans cooler install, than you would with just leaving it alone. The trans probably uses the bottom of the rad for cooling already.
Drive near the speed limit and leave some space, you and the car will be fine. Legally, many states and provinces allow you to tow 2-3k lbs unbraked with anything, provided all your towing equipment is rated for that.

Towing with a Civic? Who would do that?

Thanksgiving%202009%20014-L.jpg

IMG_20140613_060513741-X2.jpg

Me, apparently. I went without a pickup truck for nearly a decade and both the Civic and I survived!!

Awesome, I was looking for someone like you. Did you drive in 'D' and also where did you buy the hitch and all?

The Civic can tow the concern to me would be braking. Civics brakes are okay for vehicle but compromised with an extra 1000lbs of potentially dynamic load.

The Civic did just fine. We bought it new back in 2001 and I sold it last year with 242,000 miles.

Unfortunately, it had a manual 5 speed transmission so I can't help you with your AT question. It went through three teen drivers, hauled numerous trailers and still had the original clutch when sold and it was a great car.

I bought the hitch online at etrailer.

Originally Posted By: Ausfahrt
The Civic did just fine. We bought it new back in 2001 and I sold it last year with 242,000 miles.

Unfortunately, it had a manual 5 speed transmission so I can't help you with your AT question. It went through three teen drivers, hauled numerous trailers and still had the original clutch when sold and it was a great car.

I bought the hitch online at etrailer.

What manual transmission fluid did you use?

I have amsoil synchromesh in my 2001 and it shifts great. I had the hond stuff in there before and that was fine to, I just use the syn for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
There's a big difference between the ability to do something and the ability to do something safely. I would not feel safe doing what the OP is wanting to do. Even if you drive safer and more slowly to compensate, there are variables that occur every day for which your risk increases.

How many times have you been cut off, had someone pull out in front of you or simply had traffic lock it up in front of you without warning and with no lane to change into? How many times has this occurred to you and an accident only barely been avoided. Add 5-800# and new geometry (both the trailer length and pivot point loads during low traction situations, not to mention the affect on your suspension) and the risk seems too great for anyone to seriously consider doing this over buying an appropriate vehicle or renting a truck for less frequent needs.

A Civic towing a small load will be fine.

tow-two-wheel-drive-vehicle-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back