2017 Focus RS - Castrol 0W40 - 4,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'm sure Castrol knows what they are doing. My comment was to the point that it appears the oil additive package has changed 3X in the past 3-5 yrs...and is back to what it was several years ago. I just don't understand that. And I can't buy it, if I don't know what's going to be in it.

So by your statement you feel that you are more capable to predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a $30 analysis than is the well-established major manufacturer?

It meets the specifications listed on the PDS, right? Which one of those do you think is compromised by you not understanding their formulation chemistry?

Yeah, I don't buy the "formulation change" theory. Some people just don't like when things change for the better. Oh well. Even M1 0w40 changed

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd give Edge 5W50 a try in that car.

I believe the RS requires the Ford 937A spec which traditionally is a xW-40 grade oil.

Is this the black bottle euro formular Castrol edge? Looks simular to the gold bottle we get over here.

Funny how the 40 grade ended up thicker by the end than the 50 did. That engine must pound the oil hard! Good result with the castrol!

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
...I had always assumed ALL the major mfg 0w-40 A3/B4 oils were basically high calcium, little to no magnesium. All the VOA/UOA's I reviewed proved it. It was that way a couple of years ago. I did some detailed searches for Castrol UOA/VOA's on the 0w-40 and the recent ones showed a change from high calcium/low magnesium to medium calcium/medium magnesium (500 ppm). I purged my recent Castrol Edge 0w-40 purchases because of that.

Why? What's the issue with using magnesium as a detergent?

Originally Posted By: fastsvo
Do we know if Castrol Edge 5W-50 meets the ford spec for the RS?

It seems to be marketed as almost a high mileage oil for older applications that could use 20W-50 last time I looked.

I'm guessing Mobil 1 5W-50 does meet the Ford spec's but IDK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back