2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T, Mobil 1 0W40, 5,000 miles

We have owned this XC70 since almost new and now has exactly 175,000 miles and running like new still. Recently started burning a little oil like half qt in 5,000 miles. PCV system still has strong vacuum. It has been on M1 0W40 for years and always show good results. Before the M1 it was on German Castrol 0W30 for many years but the M1 always had better results so I stayed with it. This is the latest UOA. Only problem I see is the oil thinned out a bit to much:
NNyyp8P.jpg

Looks like a typical Mobil 0W40 UOA…….19 model year old vehicle only losing 1/2 quart per 5000 miles is well within the usage range. Viscosity and Flashpoint aren’t perfect, but nothing to get crazy about…….

a little. It has a turbo so we let it spool down for a minute or so after driving. Maybe a minute in the mornings until the RPMs drop a bit.
I wouldn't call that 'a lot of idling'.

@himemsys I assume that was asked in regard to fuel dilution leading to viscosity drop?

I wouldn't call that 'a lot of idling'.

@himemsys I assume that was asked in regard to fuel dilution leading to viscosity drop?
He did say "a little." :) Yes, excessive idling combined with short trips can lead to excessive fuel in the oil even in a normally non-fuel-diluting vehicle.

Back