Looking for 225/75/15 options, preferably for cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to do some homework before getting tires for the Escape. I have the cooper discoverer H/T right now and they are fine but I think they are a truck tire and have had a negative impact on my MPGs. As I use this vehicle as just a commuter and it isn't my wife's car anymore, I think i'd prefer a more basic all around tire w/out offroad abilities. The hard part is this tire size is a bit uncommon.

What i'd like to find is this:
1) 225/75/15
2) 70k mile rated warranty
3) all season passenger, not light truck

So far it seems the following are made but I may not be able to get them locally:
1) Hankook H724 (reviews on here are not good but it gets solid ratings at tirerack and available at discount tire)
2) Kumho TA11 (I'd really like to try this tire but I don't think I can get it locally)

Anyone know of anything else?

Would you consider ordering the Kumho TA11 from the TireRack ? It may seem a little inconvenient, but you are getting what you want and the tires you put on your Escape are going to be on there for years.

So I bought some Kenda Kinetica's for the race car project. They went on Pro-Star wheels. When they were mounted, the tire tech said it was the only pair of tires he could recall that needed no balance weights - zero
smile.gif

We used to run Kenda's on a lot of desert bikes. They all seem well made. They do not make a 225 as you requested, but do make a 235/75-r15. They ride nice and rolling resistance seem reasonable (that's why they were chosen for the fronts on the drag car).

You might want to look them over here: http://automotive.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/passenger-car/kenetica/
smile.gif

Or Wal-Mart in relation to the Solus. The Kenda post came up before I was done typing.

Last edited:
I had a set of coopers on my old contour, and they felt like I was driving through mud, though they were nice otherwise.

Man 225 is huge. Id drop to 205 section. That is NOT an heavy vehicle. Maintain proper load rating.

I bet that thing didn't come with 75's, correct?

I got Firestone Le2 on the Rogue they are just OK. High Impact g\harishness even at low tire pressure. They do have a pretty decent rolling resistance (lowish). I think they are 70 series.

Originally Posted By: 555
Would you consider ordering the Kumho TA11 from the TireRack ? It may seem a little inconvenient, but you are getting what you want and the tires you put on your Escape are going to be on there for years.

I might have to. I like rotating my own tires so that is no big deal but I do like having a place for balancing/warranty.

As for walmart, i guess that is an option too but I'm not sure I trust their tire balancing. I should ask around and see if anyone has any good experiences at the local walmarts around here.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I had a set of coopers on my old contour, and they felt like I was driving through mud, though they were nice otherwise.

Man 225 is huge. Id drop to 205 section. That is NOT an heavy vehicle. Maintain proper load rating.

I bet that thing didn't come with 75's, correct?

I got Firestone Le2 on the Rogue they are just OK. High Impact g\harishness even at low tire pressure. They do have a pretty decent rolling resistance (lowish). I think they are 70 series.

225/75/15 is the OEM tire size. I like the 225. I don't think I'm interested in doing 205. The 225s with the high clearance makes this thing like a little truck. It will go anywhere anytime despite being FWD.

I've got BFG Long Trail T/A Tours in that size on my '95 Dakota (OE was 215/75-15). Tire Rack bills them as an SUV/crossover tire. They've been fine for street and highway use. I've gotten 40K out of mine, with 6-7 32nds left---70K would be doubtful unless you really run them down. not a lot of options in what now seems to be more of a trailer-standard size.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm trying to do some homework before getting tires for the Escape. I have the cooper discoverer H/T right now and they are fine but I think they are a truck tire and have had a negative impact on my MPGs. As I use this vehicle as just a commuter and it isn't my wife's car anymore, I think i'd prefer a more basic all around tire w/out offroad abilities. The hard part is this tire size is a bit uncommon.

What i'd like to find is this:
1) 225/75/15
2) 70k mile rated warranty
3) all season passenger, not light truck

So far it seems the following are made but I may not be able to get them locally:
1) Hankook H724 (reviews on here are not good but it gets solid ratings at tirerack and available at discount tire)
2) Kumho TA11 (I'd really like to try this tire but I don't think I can get it locally)

Anyone know of anything else?

I have the Hankook H724s and they are a comfort tire above all else. Mine are 185/75/14 on a heavy Benz 300D diesel. They squeal in the slightest corners. OTOH they do ride real nice on an already nice riding car.

I believe that is the size range for the Dueler LE2 from Firestone. It's advertised as a LRR tire. We've owned 2 sets. The current set is on a 2015 CRV and it's getting 26mpg in my wife's daily in-town commute with the A/C on. No balance, noise, or traction issues with these tires. They have better wet acceleration grip than the continentals which preceded them. They handle well and are very quiet.

We've been pleased with the LE2s and the bridgestone serenity for passenger vehicles.

I have the Hankook H724's om my Colorado. They are a great tire in the rain, ride smoothly and do well in the snow, but they lack traction on any form of ice. IMO they would be a first class tire with siping added. Overall i would recommend them. BTW they are wearing well with good tread life to this point.
thumbsup2.gif
49.gif

Originally Posted By: meep
I believe that is the size range for the Dueler LE2 from Firestone. It's advertised as a LRR tire. We've owned 2 sets. The current set is on a 2015 CRV and it's getting 26mpg in my wife's daily in-town commute with the A/C on. No balance, noise, or traction issues with these tires. They have better wet acceleration grip than the continentals which preceded them. They handle well and are very quiet.

We've been pleased with the LE2s and the bridgestone serenity for passenger vehicles.
That's Destination LE2. NOT BAD at all for cheap, but very poor impact harshness on my rogue. I just put on a set about 7 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back