Is any full synth better than any synth blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to read this forum regularly, but quit being so regular several years back, so I've lost touch
with oil preferences for my autos/truck. I have always used full synthetics. Is it worth still doing that with today's oils? What is the difference in the cheapest full synthetics (Supertech).... versus better synthetic blends.

Thanks, Fred

Most of the blends are over half synthetic anyways...

To be honest, short of using the oil a little longer, there really is not a big difference between these and the more basic full synthetics. Granted, this is just my opinion. This might vary a bit more with the type of engine that it is going in...

smile.gif

there are to my knowledge NO requirements concerning the amount of "synthetic" usually group III used in a semi-synthetic, prolly not very much! with todays group III "synthetics" being under $5 a qt bought in 5 qt containers thats a good move for most driving. unless stated almost all of todays "synthetic" oils are group III flavor, severely hydrocracked CRUDE oils, for extreme use group IV PAO + V Ester oils are available but costing over twice as much

Last edited:
Right now you can get Castrol Magnatec for the same price as ST oil at Walmart and other places.
I'd pick a price point like $18-$20 a 5qt. jug and just get what you can get.
I'd always go with Magnatec at that price point but sometimes they jack it up especially the 0w20 flavor.
great oil at a ST price

Originally Posted By: benjy
there are to my knowledge NO requirements concerning the amount of "synthetic" usually group III used in a semi-synthetic, prolly not very much! with todays group III "synthetics" being under $5 a qt bought in 5 qt containers thats a good move for most driving. unless stated almost all of todays "synthetic" oils are group III flavor, severely hydrocracked CRUDE oils, for extreme use group IV PAO + V Ester oils are available but costing over twice as much
Thanks, that kind of info was what I was looking for. So even Mobil 1 Extended Protection is not a lot different than the typical group III synths?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Right now you can get Castrol Magnatec for the same price as ST oil at Walmart and other places.
I'd always go with Magnatec at that price point but sometimes they jack it up especially the 0w20 flavor.
great oil at a ST price
I just saw this on Jet.com for about $16.50 if you buy several, plus a new buyer discount of 15%. But I don't know whether to trust it to be the "full synth" version as I have seen both, side-by-side at Walmart for $17.88.

0w20 and 5w20 Mag has always been full synthetic. So no worries.
If your after 5w30 make a call to them... Now its FS...
I have not purchased any new 10w30 Mag so I don't know if its FS or still semi.
10 months ago 10w30 from Amazon was semi....

But even the ss. 5w30 is excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: frule
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
great oil at a ST price
I just saw this on Jet.com for about $16.50 if you buy several, plus a new buyer discount of 15%. But I don't know whether to trust it to be the "full synth" version as I have seen both, side-by-side at Walmart for $17.88.

I used Jet for some expensive tires. I ended up stealing them. Log in and order your stuff. Then open up another browser and let that uncompleted order sit and leave it for several hours or even the next day. They lowered the price three times for me. Make sure you're logged in though.

The blends I use don't have any Group III in them that I am aware of. They are Group IV PAO and Group II blends. So you would be correct. The blends I use don't have very much Group III in them! According to folks I have talked with at the company, the blends are 25% PAO.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

The blends I use don't have any Group III in them that I am aware of. They are Group IV PAO and Group II blends. So you would be correct. The blends I use don't have very much Group III in them! According to folks I have talked with at the company, the blends are 25% PAO.

What blend are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back