How do these plugs look to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#5 NGK is VERY HOT is that the spec? Some corona on the porcelain, and some bluing on the shell. Clean burn, but why a HR 5. Id say 40K-60Kmi usd.

Why did you pull them? You should not reuse without new gasket.

Last edited:
Good pictures of the threads - lol. Concentrate on showing what the electrode and insulator look like - say a 3/4 angle from the top. From what little I can see, they look OK. At 40k miles they are almost certain to be fine from a wear standpoint - most plugs these days go 100k miles easy.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
#5 NGK is VERY HOT is that the spec? Some corona on the porcelain, and some bluing on the shell. Clean burn, but why a HR 5

Yes, 5 is in fact the stock heat range.

The OE spark plug is the NGK PFR5G-11 (Laser Platinum, double platinum) also listed in parts store catalogs as NGK 2647

However, Nissan also gives alternative options one heat range above or below. As you'd guess, PFR4G-11 and PFR6G-11

But since the OE NGK Laser Platinums are $9/each, I decided to use Denso iridium #3395 on my 96 I30. However, the Denso double platinum #3264 would also work well in these cars.

NGK also lists the iridium #7994 IFR5E-11 as ok to use. These actually cost less than the NGK OE platinum plugs, and they'll last longer, too.

Thank you for the comments, much appreciated!

These single platinum plugs have 36k miles in use, not 40k. Nissan recommends 60k on double platinums, conservative perhaps?
The plugs are in the suitable heat range according to NGK. I have 6 new Denso 3264 on standby.

Sorry for the pics, I know better now.

What exactly is the purpose of the gaskets? I have a hard time believing anything would get past the threads and anti-seize. This is the second time I have put these plugs back in.
First time was in March when doing some engine work. A rag got caught and wrapped around the intake cam lobes of mostly cyl #3 and to lesser degree #5 pic here.
Two weeks ago I finally did a compression test to feel better about the rag thing. That's when the plug pics were taken.

No shortage of carbon on the piston tops.

These IR plugs are good for 100K or when you roast one. I would use a HR 6 for less preig, #5 is too hot for most anything running a 195 thermostat, even 4V Alu heads. Ne gaket is to prevent overtourquing and distortung valve seats.
COP or waste spark? If waste spark Use a special Denso for neg fire ignitions with 2 platinum pills - like a points set. You can save $$ by using a neg fire plug in the neg fire cyls only - ala FORD.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
These IR plugs are good for 100K or when you roast one. I would use a HR 6 for less preig, #5 is too hot for most anything running a 195 thermostat, even 4V Alu heads. Ne gaket is to prevent overtourquing and distortung valve seats.
COP or waste spark? If waste spark Use a special Denso for neg fire ignitions with 2 platinum pills - like a points set. You can save $$ by using a neg fire plug in the neg fire cyls only - ala FORD.

This engine is not waste spark. The ignition coils and spark plugs are not weak points on these cars (those coil problems started in 99). The stock heat range 5 is just fine in these cars
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back