1995 7.3 Powerstroke Schaeffer 9000 5W-40, 6.5k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to drive this truck back in college (quit for several years, then started again about 4 years ago) and remember antifreeze leaking out the cylinder head at one point. Being a poor college student I threw in a bottle of the sealer and it went away.
smile.gif
So the potassium that shows up isn't a ton and tested negative for glycol, but I do have to add a small amount of coolant every few thousand miles. I did replace the oil cooler o-rings on this three years ago and it could be the gasket isn't lined up perfect allowing a small seepage of coolant into the oil.

For the boron Schaeffer's doesn't use it and this is the second oil change with Schaeffer, so I'm guessing its from the Rotella that I have used sometimes to top it off. Note that the oil makeup isn't from burning oil, its from a mysterious leak around the filter housing.

Oil: Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 CJ-4
Vehicle: 1995 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
Miles on oil: 6,500 miles
Miles on vehicle: 325,000 miles
Make up oil: 3 quarts
Oil filter: Ford Motorcraft FL-1995
Miles on oil filter: 6,500
Used Schaeffer's Webscope

Code:

OIL Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40

MAKE UP OIL 3 qt

MILES IN USE 6.5k

MILES TOTAL 325k

SAMPLE TAKEN 8/26/16

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 47

COPPER 2

LEAD 8

TIN 0

VANADIUM 0

MOLYBDENUM 227

NICKEL 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 128

BORON 172

SILICON 13

SODIUM 25

CALCIUM 2873

MAGNESIUM 63

PHOSPHORUS 986

ZINC 1815

BARIUM 0

WATER
OXIDATION 15.72

NITRATION 0.0

cSt @ 212ºF 12.97

The Motorcraft FL-1995 filter looked really good, no tears, waviness, etc. One thing to note is on these filters there isn't an anti drain back valve since the filter sits almost vertical.

Shoot me an email address I've got ten and twenty thousand miles of 9000 uoa reports on 2 different units running synthetic ff and bypass filters

Filter looks pretty good! Is it new or old stock? Not sure if Purolator still uses the string on the new stuff or not.

I've got the outside canister at home, but I always punch a whole in the filter before I remove it so its not so heavy and may have punched right through the code date.

Liking the high zinc, boron, and moly content.

Hoping Schaeffer keep's. this available for awhile and CK-4 doesn't dilute it, or move it over to one of their racing products like they did their high zinc formula 15w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back