Oil related rattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. What would cause an engine to start rattling on oil thats about 1500miles old when the car is driven for a while and the engine gets hot.
Once and oil and filter change is done the rattling goes away.
Is this due to me using cheap brand synthetic oil?

What "cheap" brand?

I went thru many top brand with timing chain tensioner gumming until Valvoline 0w20 "fixed" it. M1 NO, QSUD-NO, Idemetsu-(well the stuff was just way too thin. 37cSt KV40, IIRC.)

car is a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v automatic. got around 87k miles on it now. chain and tensioner were replaced less than 10k miles ago
this is the oil I used on the most recent oil change:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-pa...p;1&cc5_248
521776031.jpg

the specs:
TRIPLE QX Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Engine Oil - 5W-40 - 5ltr

Triple QX Syn Plus 5W-40 fully synthetic motor oil is blended in UK with the highest quality base stocks and advance additive technology. It meets the performance levels and specifications for the vehicles requiring this oil. Triple QX motor oil provides optimum engine performance, improved fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions.
•Benefits:
•Ultimate oil for high performance engines
•Low drag which means more power and lower fuel consumption
•Reduced need for top-up through lower evaporation at high temperatures
•Catalyst compatible
•API SN/CF, ACEA A3, B3, B4
•VW502.00, 505.00, MB229.3, BMW LL-01, Renault RN700/710

apparently the specs say the oil "meets the requirements of". it doesn't say if it actually has any approvals.

the oil change previous to this one when the timing chain was done same brand triple qx was used but semi-synthetic 10w40. and that also started rattling after 2k miles or so. in face I could induce the rattle if I did hard driving. the rattle would come at idle revs too

Will remember to try the hdeo. Iv already bought the shell oil now so will chanhe it out next weekend

Use only oils with actual approval. For GM of that age specification is now obsolete. Dexos 2 is modern equivalent, however it's low SAPS (not that it matters in UK).
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is great value and carries all important/contemporary approvals.

Rattles....or pinging and knocking...can also be the result of cheap, low octane gas, and not just oil. But if it does go away when you change the oil I'd have to ask "...how long is your OCI?" Maybe change your oil sooner?...and this...how much oil drained?

Last edited:
Drained all oil from sump plug under car. Oil change history is bad. Probably gone 10k miles many times on semi synthetic oils.
Noise happens when engine is hot. At idle its like top end rattle.

Reading up in this people say it could be the hydraulic lifters that are gummed up with [censored]. Would and engine idle flush work to clean them up?

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Drained all oil from sump plug under car. Oil change history is bad. Probably gone 10k miles many times on semi synthetic oils.
Noise happens when engine is hot. At idle its like top end rattle.

When I asked how much oil was drained I was trying to determine the oil level relative to full at the time of the change.
10k miles may be too much for semi-syn oil IF it's mostly around town....some might say it's too many miles regardless....but mostly highway miles might be okay....
Again, if the engine pings/rattles when hot it could be too-low octane...next fill up try premium gas.

when oil was drained it was full on dipstick. car uses shell brand petrol which is the closest petrol station to us. I can try out v-power but doubt that will make any difference since its not the sound of detonation. its more like metal on metal rattle. like marbles in a tin can. issue is fine when engine is cold. but once heated up to temp rattle comes back at idle.

not sure about rislone treatment. im in the UK so a lot of the stuff from USA like MMO is not available unless imported for silly money.

I have this flush already in possession:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-ac...mp;&cc5_170
549771811.jpg

can I use something like this flushing oil:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-ac...mp;&cc5_168
545772081.jpg

dunno if that's gonna work out more effective to try?

decided will use both flushing methods this weekend. hopefully it sorts the issue out. does seem like oil pressure related issue when hot engine at idle.

I have another question to ask and a dangerous one at that.
Once flush oil has been drained should i leave the drain plug removed and crank the engine for a few seconds to allow it to get any flushing oil out of the pump? Or is it too dangerous to crank with no oil in it? Spark plug leads would be removed so it would be just on starter motor power?

Got it all done now. Added the STP flush to the oil already in the pan let it run on idle then drained and filled up with flushing oil and new filter and ran for 30mins idle
Finally drailned the flushing oil and used a new filter again and used shell helix ultra 5w40 fully synthetic oil.
Mum says the car is running quieter and seems to be more lively.
I will post photos of the filters that were removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back