Tracking down vibration 60mph +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bit of a conundrum with the 2009 Honda Accord Sedan. Approximately 123k on the clock now. Starting around 65mph and up I have a vibration that will come and go about every 30 seconds or so and will usually last 45 seconds to a minute.

The car was outfitted with brand new Dunlop Signature II tires a couple of months ago. Prior to this, the circa-2012 Cooper WeatherMasters on 16" steel wheels were smooth. After initial installation of these tires, I began to notice this vibration. Ruling out the obvious, when taking the car for a bi-yearly alignment courtesy of the previously purchased lifetime alignment from Firestone, I opted to have each wheel balanced. Tech performing the service mentioned that the installing shop didn't correctly balance them. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to correct the issue. Perhaps the harshness of the vibration improved, but the problem still existed. 50, 55, 60 mph -- car is very smooth.

My next thought was that the worn axles were causing this vibration at highway speeds. I also did have a choppy/wobbly torque steer under hard acceleration. I ordered new (under warranty) axles from RockAuto. Those have been installed -- acceleration related vibration has been corrected, however my highway speed vibration still exists.

Upper and lower ball-joints are tight, control arm bushings aren't worn-out, inner and outer tie rods seem good with hands at 9 and 3. Rear suspension seems good. New struts in the rear, new rear passenger wheel bearing. All other wheels spin freely and bearings feel well packed and free. Brakes are wearing evenly and braking is good.

Manual trans shifts fine and no strange drivetrain issues. Dare I have these balanced again? I am also beginning to think I could possibly have a bent wheel(s). Western New York is no stranger to potholes and it is evident that a lot of the local and county municipalities are not putting a great emphasis on their roadway quality.

With a quick glance, nothing sticks out when I spun the wheels on the lift. I observed where the rim meets the bead and the tire with part of the body to see if I'd notice a slight move when the wheel was spun -- nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps a second closer inspection will reveal something.

Car has some miles but is kept in mechanically excellent condition.

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
There is a limit to how much weight you can use to balance . Check if you passed it . Example 10 pound of weight .(just a random value) for big rig if I recall its 10 ounce) so for car its probably way lower .love travel center sell special valve tip and plastic beed you put the beed in the tire (dynamic balance ) so you could replace your static weight with this stuff (you ll need a balance tho to put similar amount .from your description tho I would have sworn a bearing or a cv joint worn because it was never repacked

I'd suspect the tires.. and get a road force balance to narrow it down.
could also try rotating them and seeing if anything changes.

Not that I want to bash Dunlop..... but when I worked in a shop a lot of good year made tires were out of round.

9O6QboW.jpg

These are my summer wheels, 16" Honda Alloys an optional wheel from a late 2000s Civic. I love 'em.

I'm frustrated enough that I might slap A/S on the steel wheels, sell the alloys and worry about winter tires in 6 months.
laugh.gif

Your original post reads as though the vibration only appeared after new wheels/tyres. Try changing between summers and winters to see if the vibration abates.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Not that I want to bash Dunlop..... but when I worked in a shop a lot of good year made tires were out of round.

I have heard a lot of run out on some new tires too. A bent rim will wobble at low speeds too. I suspect tires not rims.

1st - I would have the tires rebalanced. All of the Honda's that I've owned seemed very sensitive to highway vibrations and required tire rebalancing. Maybe even a Road Force Balance is in order. A bit more expensive but may be worth it.

2nd - I have had Dunlop Signature/SignatureII's and they also seemed to be a bit picky about their balance. If the "out of balance (&/or) out of alignment" goes on too long, the tires become very noisy(sound like a bad wheel bearing)...and Honda cars don't need the extra noise.

It wasn't the same problem as yours, but I had trouble with new Signature IIs on a Vibe. The new tires made a thumping noise that was more noticeable at lower speeds. Actually, I'm not sure I ever drove it on the highway before getting it corrected.

I went back to try rebalancing after about three weeks, and one of the techs noticed a flat spot on one front tire. I can't remember exactly where it was--sidewall or tread--but it was obvious when pointed out. They replaced the tire under warranty and the problem was solved.

I will check those things out. I guess getting them balanced again can't hurt.

In all likelihood it's one, or more, of the tires. I went through a similar ordeal with a set of Yokohama YK580 tires i bought from Discount Tire a few months back. They replaced a set of half worn, but noisy, OE tires on my wife's Santa Fe. Vibration at freeway speeds from day one. Went back to them more than a few times. Balanced, and rebalanced. Rotated tires on wheels, no change. Road Force balanced, found to be within allowable tolerances. After 6k mi of dealing with this i went back and told them i was not satisfied with the tires. And given the history thus far they let me choose a different set of tires. I chose a set of Bridgestone's and they are as smooth as glass with a simple spin balance.

Counting it a fluke, I bought set of YK580's for my Sonata. As soon as i hit the freeway after installation it was like deja vu all over again. Returned the next day and told them i wanted something different. Got a set of Michelins, spin balanced, no issues.

I bought these tires from Walmart.com. Lets see if I can get them to take them back. Chatting online with them now.

They said they'd take them back. Hmm... time for something else.

Here's an update.

I will be driving a lot this Memorial Day weekend. Genessee Brewery/Taproom with the Mrs on Friday in Rochester, Saturday errands, STM Open House on Sunday in Spencerport (Rochester area) and 4-wheeling in Andover, NY on Monday. I didn't want this vibration coming into play some more.

I went to a local Firestone near me to have the tires checked out and see if they had any ideas. Rest of the car checked out... wheels are fine. So I had them throw on (4) brand new tires. I liked the Champion Fuel Fighter and went with them. First time I've ever bought Firestones or have had them on a car.

Vibration is gone. Car is smooth. Was up to 75mph on the 90 this morning without even knowing it. These tires also handle expansion joints, small bumps, cracks, etc. 100 times better. The Dunlops would let you feel every road imperfection from new.

I will be returning these or selling them dirt cheap to someone who drives
Didn't really wanna spend the $$$, but sometimes just getting something taken care of is worth it. Plus, trying to find a competent tire installer (when ordering online) without an attitude is tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back