Tire cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
P255 70 R18 tires.

If these tires can't take NH UV then I can easily see why they don't work down south. Will have to be my last set of Michelins then.

I'll call a shop tomorrow and see if I can schedule a time to go in and have them looked at.

Well, Passenger Car tires (anything with "P" in the size designation) won't have nearly as many plies as a truck tire would. So, that's one consideration if you are wondering whether to replace them or run them. I never use car tires in a truck application (huge difference in load rating).

Blowing out a tire doesn't scare me, but you have to know what to do when one does. Should be part of basic Driver's Ed but of course we don't properly train drivers anymore, so that's wishful thinking.

This truck would be scary with a blowout. I can't imagine. I had a blowout once, but on a minitruck. Minor. But this truck, I dunno, I don't think I'd do so well.

Not sure light truck tires are needed. The most I've ever towed is 2,000lb. Different discussion though.

Talked the shop today. He said it was dry rot, pretty common for 3 year old tires he thought, given that they were driven lightly. Common for tires that don't get a lot of usage. He said that I as a consumer might have better luck with Michelin on getting them pro-rated than he would; that had been his experience anyhow. Personally I'm not sure if I should bother, since it appears to be from owner negligence (letting them sit in the sun too long).

He also pointed out some sidewall cracking that I had missed. And pointed out that they would not pass state inspection. And that he wouldn't run them. I'm going to have to rethink plans for this vehicle; buying a set of tires per year isn't that much money in the scheme of things but it did not enter into my plans either. To be honest I've never owned a set of tires for this long, but I guess I should have known better.

Sorry for the water on the pics, it was rainy today (tires aren't installed, but they got wet during the inspection process).

It is indeed in the state inspection laws :

Quote:

PART Saf-C 3211 WHEELS AND TIRES

Saf-C 3211.01 Fabric Breaks, Cuts and Blowout Repairs.

(a) A vehicle shall be rejected if a tire has:

(1) A fabric break;

(2) A cut, break or weather crack which is:

a. In excess of one inch in any direction as measured on the outside of the tire; and

b. Deep enough to reach the body cords;

Crack in excess of one inch long is pretty anal as a fail criterion.

UK MOT (generally regarded as relatively strict) I THINK you have to be able to see the belting before its a fail.

Re-read it. I think it has to be BOTH in excess of an inch long and down to the belting.

So not anal at all.

Implies the OP's cracks are cosmetic only (which is how I would have characterised them) and would not result in a fail.

Been busy lately so I haven't looked into this. Was taking the wheels out of the truck and looked at the backside of the tires (side towards vehicle). Mind you, when I stored them outside, they were standing up, leaning towards the house, so this side was "protected" from the sun. Holy cow! Crack city. Lots of long cracks, not thro to cords but long just the same.

Looked at Michelin's warranty. Says it's towards same or similar Michelin product. Not surprising. But I don't think I want Michelins again. Sorry. They don't fit my driving needs. If I have to replace half-worn tires every 3 years I might as well go with something that might have less tread warranty but costs less initially. That's not to say Michelin's are bad but they don't fit my needs. It appears that I didn't take that into account when I bought them in the first place (that the tires would age out before wear out).

Originally Posted By: supton
Edit: forgot to say, Michelin LTX MS2's. Not sure it matters, but there you, last of the details. Used on my Tundra, tires bought new end of 2013 or so.

It matters:

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/safety-recalls/latitude-tour.html

Looks like a few weeks out of the recall production dates but still they might do something. Not sure what size the tires are?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Re-read it. I think it has to be BOTH in excess of an inch long and down to the belting.

So not anal at all.

Implies the OP's cracks are cosmetic only (which is how I would have characterised them) and would not result in a fail.

Agreed.

This is harmless, however completely unacceptable at three years time. I had similar dry rot before with Michelin ( and other brands), but at older age.

Currently my Michelin Energy (dot 13), only 13K km/ month and a half in service (due to circumstances they weren't used before) show no age related problems.

My other set, Alpin 5 (dot 15), also no cracks at all.

Got curious. Friends of mine picked up a Tundra (2014?), used, I think a year ago. LTX's also, date code 1014, cracks not quite as bad as mine, and they have actually worn theirs out. I suspect the truck must have sat a bit in order to get cracking. Cosmetic, but I do know my friends drive the truck constantly, unlike mine.

Still waiting to hear on my prorate, it's only been a couple of weeks since I dropped the tires off at the shop.

My Dad ditched Michelin as well, and they were LT tires on his F150. Became too bad in the winter at about half tread depth.
He went with much cheaper Hercules tires and they have done well in the first winter atleast.
I would avoid LT tires if you can, we ended up with LT snow tires for our Savanna 1/2 ton work vans and its pretty remarkable how bad they ride compared to the P-rated 3 season tires, and that's with the LT's run underinflated at 32 psi...
Atleast in that vehicle the LT's thump and boom in every crack.

No plans to go LT. Just not needed IMO, not on my half ton. I don't tow heavy, and it's underpowered so it'll never tow heavy.

My plan at the moment is, if Michelin gives me 50% prorate I'll buy another set of LTX's. Maybe AT2's if they will let it, as I don't drive highway as much as I used to (I'm filling up once a month now!). If I get much less than 50% then I will likely go elsewhere, as it won't be cost effective. I mean, a set is about $1k for LTX's. Friend I think is getting Fuzions for $600... maybe with online sales I can get cheaper. Or I can luck out on some decent takeoffs. So if Michelin gives me $300 then it's cheaper to buy something else.

My truck had cracks in the sidewalls when I bought it.
laugh.gif

Literally "drove" it one day before getting new tires..

Had those tires on a vehicle kept in FL for around 3 years and they had multiple cracks... Replaced with a Hankook tire and they have not shown any cracks in the last 2.5 years.

Last edited:
I had the same issues with Michelin tires, even my equipment trailer tires fair MUCH better then any Michelin tires I have owned(and they see much more abuse with sometimes not being moved for 6 months), as far as cracking on sidewall or in tread areas. All 4 sets I bought over the years had sidewall and/or tread area cracking within 3 years, NOT ACCEPTABLE for me, my family's safety or the extra money that was spent for this supposed top tier brand of tires. Bridgestone for me for now on, unless of course they cheapen the tires or have these same type of issues that Michelin obviously can't figure out or want to fix.

Update: nothing to update. As in, it's been almost 5 weeks since I dropped off the tires, and no word yet. I'm rather disappointed. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work for most people: I'm still on snow tires, but would most people just buy a new set of tires and wait for a refund?

I called the tire shop but they said it takes longer than a month to settle these things.

Ah! pestered the shop, they pestered Michelin, got my numbers. Two tires at $32.46 and two at $55.66.

mad.gif

But it's a credit towards any tire. So not so bad after all. I'll take my $176.24 and move on; my tire needs changed anyhow (don't need the "best" road tire any more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back