Dear BITOGers, I beg your attention please

Status
Not open for further replies.
my occupation is different than engineering but my father was a truck mechanic. i spent all my summers with him helping around the workshop. i know a thing or two about how an engine works etc etc. since i bought my dpf equipped diesel car there is a question who is bothering me. why on earth, would i have to fill an engine with c1/c2/c3/c4 engine oil instead of B3 or B4 or B5???
my car never uses any oil whatsoever and if it does it is not noticeable to me in the 10k mile (15000 km) OCI. the other day i checked oil guides on the net. there is a dpf and non-dpf version of the vehicle. same engine codes and so on. the first choice for non dpf was 10w40 or 15w40. for dpf 5w30. i took the chance and filled with 10w40 b4 oil. the result??
well my engine didn't blow up. it was running very smooth by ear. certainly the fuel consumption went up about 0.3 liters per 100km and when i travel fast on the highway the engine works "butter@
for 2000 km the dpf didn't regenerate (the car is about 100.000 miles now and i can't understand when it goes on dpf regen. those kias are pretty good on that). the car is driven mainly in the city, A/C on, 1st or 2nd gear and no problems what so ever. i checked the oil level today and it didn't smell any diesel nor was low.
my main question to all of you..if an engine doesn't consume any oil at all WHY bother putting acea C3 or low saps since it doesn't consume any oil?? isn't diesel fuel more important for the dpf filter?? and let's say we have a consumption..how 200 ml of oil (less than a coke can) is going to "blow up" the dpf in smitherins!! i mean come on! am i getting the whole picture wrong here???
my brother services new trucks after the warranty expiration and puts heavy duty oil..no low saps no nothing. and the filters and urea systems on these trucks work fine..and we are talking for million of kms!
thank you for your time

SAPS kill DPFs if you're burning oil, but if there are no consumption/control issues it won't make a difference.
To your other question, there are C oils I would use before A5/B5, it's too thin to protect properly.

I'm not using a C-rated oil either in my dpf equipped car. Also can go 2000 miles between regens which is unheard of here. Typically, I see customers are more likely to ge 200 miles between regens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back